Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon, my little Great Pyrenees puppy started yowling at the back door. We could tell that she was in pain, so we checked her over. She let us rub her back and legs, but cried whenever we touched her muzzle or mouth.

After a few minutes, I noticed that her muzzle was swelling, and one eye was closing some. I called the vet. They were full, and couldn't see her, but told me to give her some Benadryl, and call them back in the morning.

Now, I can clearly see a swollen bump on one side of her nose, and generalized swelling of her entire face. I do not see a wound at all.

She was running around when she saw me with her dinner, and ate all of it.

Does that sound like she just got stung by an insect?

I'm a little paranoid, because we have so many copperheads. If she had been bitten by a snake, wouldn't she be acting sicker?

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I was going to say that maybe it got bit by a snake. My parents had a dog whose face had swollen up and was in pain but not really ill. Took him to the vet and turned out he had been bitten by a snake. I cannot remember if it was poisonous or not, it's been about 5 years ago. But he recovered and is fine.

I hope you find out what is wrong with your dog. Since there is a bump on it's nose, maybe it was stung by a bee or something, but with the face swollen like that, it brings back memories.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Bitten by a snake, and AR, yours was a venomous. Non-venomous won't cause swelling the first day. Only if there is infection after a few days. If the swelling is less tomorrow, I wouldn't even take her to a vet. Snakebite doesn't affect a dog like it does a human. Usually swells for a day to a week and goes away.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've had experiences just like this, and I offer this in suggestion. If you can carefully brush through the fur in the area of swelling and can find no puncture marks, holes, any areas oozing or giving off even a bit of fluid, then it is most likely a bee or wasp sting. Snake bites cause more than just a bit of swelling, like they cause major swelling. Bee stings cause moderate swelling that goes away after several hours, often leaving just a lump where the sting occured. I would think if a dog got bit on the muzzle by a snake, it would have gross swelling and not feel well.

I've had dogs and cats both get stung in the mouth, on the neck, muzzle. It sounds like what you have had happen. I would suggest you just watch it if your dog seems like he feels ok and is eating and drinking okay.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Sounds like a bee or wasp sting.

We've had two adult dogs bitten by water mocassins. They were in no shape to run around or eat any dinner. In fact, one of them couldn't even make it across the yard and ended up spending five days in the hospital.

I have also had dogs in the past that got bit by copperheads. You can usually see the two fang marks if you look carefully. I've never seen one cause a bump...just swelling.

If she's still perky I'm pretty sure she'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
my first thought is venemous snake. I've seen it before. It can be very serious on the muzzle. Take her to the vet. Problem is they don't know what kind. She will get better but a dogs nose is very sensitive to start with. Don't mention stings to the vet. Treat it as a snakebite to avoid problems. I'm no vet so I don't really know what can be done but this dog is your buddy. Do what you can.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
when I worked for the vet long time ago, a dog came in with the entire head swollen the size of a basketball. It was snakebit by a rattler. You could see the double fang marks on the forehead between the eyes. The dog had to get Intensive Care with antihistamines, and lots of intravenous fluids to help flush out the poison.
If it's localized swelling, I'd suspect probably an insect sting, maybe like a hornet. That wouldn't show double fang marks, but either could be very hard to see especially on a longer haired dog without shaving the area.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shoot!

I'm starting to think it is a snake bite. I just went out to give her more water and Benadryl. her face looks more swollen, and she has a huge knot under her chin.

I can take her to the vet at 8 AM. I'll be worrying about her all night.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The swelling down some this morning. The vet said that it might be because the Benadryl is helping, so to continue it for 3 days.

She won't need antibiotics unless her face swells back up, or I find a wound that looks infected.

I'm feeling much better now. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, The vet thinks it was a copperhead.

We have had a lot of rain this summer, and the frogs are out of control. I think that is what the snakes are eating in our yard. I'm glad Dh has kept on top of the mowing, or we would have even more to worry about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.