A Simple Cure ( I hope) for Acid stomach...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Here is a potential short term cure for an Acid Stomach.....Pour 4 to 6 ounces of water into a glass. Then , add a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar(5%) to the water and drink prior to eating a meal of hi-Octane food. It should neutralize the over acidity Ph of your stomach........let US know if it works....fordy :eek: :)

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Here are 2 cures that I know work, speaking from personal experience.

Drink a glass of milk half an hour after the meal. The calcium neutralizes acid: that is why calcium is found in many antacids.

Or, take 2 antacid pills 15-30 minutes after eating.

3. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

But milk is actually acidic...

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Vinegar is acidic also. A peppomint candy works best for me. Baking soda works also, but can put your gallbladder at risk over years of use.

5. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Here's my treatment: Tincture of lemon balm. 3 dropper fulls in a few ounces of water.

I stumbled onto this by accident. I was trying to make some lemon extract a couple of years ago by stuffing a bunch of lemon balm leaves in a jar and filling it with vodka. It tastes like slime, but found it works much better than Tums or Alka Seltzer (for me anyway).

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Bacteria causes the acid in your stomach. If you don't have enough of the right kind of acid, that's when you get acid reflux. (crazy, huh?)

I make Ginger water for my husband. It seems to really work.

1/2 c. packed brown sugar
    1 c. cider vinegar
    1 qt. water

Mix in a 1/2 gallon jar.

This is also a GREAT replacement for "gator-aid". It replaces electrolytes in your body. I got the recipe out of the "Little House on the Prairie Cookbook" My FIL says that his uncles used to use this all the time when bailing hay in the summer.

It tastes WAY better than gingerale if you ask me. It's better if you don't smell it while you drink it.

7. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Activated charcoal works great if you have reflux. Back when I suffered from it I would take some (1 teaspoon in a half glass of water, then another half glass of water to wash it down) before I went to bed, and would have no problems. Want a long term cure? Drink lemon juice- one half of a lemon to a whole (fresh always) in a glass of water before you eat. The lemon juice will kill any bacteria in your stomach and will help to balance out the acidity. Fresh lemon is akaline and it really helps. Good for your gallbladder too. I have used this successfully for years and so have many people I know of. Over time our acid tummies corrected themselves with the lemon. Oh yeah..... CHEW your food well..... your stomach doesn't have teeth!

8. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

A glass of chocolate milk always works my tummy.

9. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

I suffered from Reflux and an extremely sour stomach for 20 years. Diagnosed as Gastointestinalasophagitas. translation. "sour stomach"
    I litterely could not eat ANYTHING without a 300mg zantac or pepsid with a two tums back in my belly. By anything I mean from a cracker to a simple glass of water. it was bad.

I went on Atkins to lose 30 some lbs and within a week I went from 3 pills a day to 1 a week. I have been at this level for 2 months now.
    I was a pasta, potatoe, tomatoe sauce, milk, peas, corn, fruit, chocolate, fat watching, nothing fried kind of eater.
    so. 15lbs lighter and one pill a week, it's like a new world. I can even eat the spicey foods I used to love so much.
    I do notice that to much beef in a row causes me grief but nothing like it used to.

maybe this will help.

Gimpy

10. bluereef

bluereef Active Member

We went from buying a large bottle of Pepto Bismol every week to buying one bottle to keep in the house, "just in case", but never actually using it.

How? By following a way of eating employed by the French, but popularized by Suzanne Somers ("somersizing").

The concept is to avoid overly starchy foods and simple sugars. Then, avoid eating certain categories of foods together in the same meal.

In this way of food combining, you can eat in the same meal:
    - protein, fat, and vegetables OR
    - complex carbohydrates (but no fat) and vegetables OR
    - Fruits

By avoiding mixing protein/fat and complex carbs in the same meal, you allow your stomach to digest your food more efficiently since the different categories of foods have different digestion requirements. Instead of "jerking" your digestive system around with the competing requirements, and making yourself sick in the process, you can combine the right categories of food so that your stomach works more efficiently (read: faster metabolism, less acid, less stomach upset).

I have oversimplified the concept here, but the basic idea is presented.

Plus, like other ways of eating--such as South Beach Diet or Atkins--that eliminate refined sugars and refined carbohydrates, you can lose a lot of weight while Somersizing. I lost 50 lbs during 6 months, and the food is so great, so varied, and so satisfying, that I can eat this way for the rest of my life! (My DH eats the same food I do, so by default, he lost 15 lbs doing with way of eating by default.)