A sign of the times? What does it mean??

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by FarmboyBill, Sep 3, 2017.

1. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

RE: Post #9

Shrek,

I do believe you are in the running for the William Faulkner award!

Mon

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

William Faulkner took himself more seriously!

Other than that, yeah.....

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

here a couple months ago everything went down. I was in TH for one of my rare coffees. people were coming over asking me if my phone was working. I told them I didn't have one. everyone that had a phone which is almost everyone these days were freaking out. even after someone came in and explained the lines were down. they were drumming on the table and whatnot still trying their phones. they couldn't sit still. this wasn't teenagers. middle age and older. they were all jumpy and nervous.

I was in walmart this morning .I don't know how many bumped into me with their heads down. one was a lady with a child in a stroller and another walking along with her crying and calling out for her mother. I don't know where it's all going to end. ~Georgia.

RichNC, MoBookworm1957 and Steve_S like this.
  4. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

yup. I bet if a woman was having se, and got a call, shed answer it lol

5. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

Did you read the link I posted on the first page near the end... you should, might answer a lot of what you were seeing at Timmies.

6. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I wouldn't. It can wait!!

nehimama likes this.
  7. IndyDave

IndyDave Well-Known Member

You're going to have to help me with this one! :)

8. ShannonR

Oh snap!!!

Bill, please clarify for us. Hahaha

nehimama likes this.
  9. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

As long as the phone that is slightly smarter than you isn't a replica 1930s candlestick phone like the one I have in my house that I like letting folks with no cell reception to use, don't worry about it.

10. FarmboyBill

I have/had one of those 2. Don't know if I still have it now that ive moved.

11. FarmboyBill

Its been so long, I guess I forgot how to spell sax lol

12. ShannonR

Obviously

13. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

My wife goes down the road about a 1/2 mile to a neighbor/friend to sit with his wife who has early onset dementia and is deaf. She does this about twice a week so he can work outside and run errands. He has an old flip phone with a basic cell plan with so many minutes per month. They have no cable, satellite or internet. Their tv has a rabbit ear antennae with a shelf of dvds next to it. They aren't poor and have a very nice home, but if you want to watch tv your limited to pbs and the local news station when the trees drop enough leaves for a clear signal, or the box set of Bonanza/Gunsmoke/All in the Family. Other than that, you read a book, you have a conversation or you get busy. Even out where we live, it is refreshing yet the exception, not the rule.

nehimama likes this.
  14. FarmboyBill

I got rabbit ears on my TV. Get Comedy, WHICH ISNT, but only watch the evening news. Got a great looking antennia outside on the N side of the house. It isn't hooked up yet.

15. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I laugh watching the smart phone types try to use my replica candlestick phone with the rotary pulse dial leaning over the mouth piece with the ear speaker in one hand and holding the column with the mouth piece like they are going to break it.

Only the one who gave me that Mayberry Courthouse looking phone and I know that it has a small button on the side of the base to enable the speed dial for 9 numbers and pressing the center label where the telephone number is printed turns the mouth piece into a speaker phone.

It may look 1920s, but it is 1990s like any other basic modular plug full feature phone.

When I use it at home by myself and it rings I don't even pick up the ear piece. I just press the button hidden under the telephone number tag in the middle of the dial and use the speaker phone. Best part is with the old fashioned megaphone shape of the mouth piece it has better clarity than the usual office space age looking desk phones with speakerphone. :)

16. FarmboyBill

Mine had a hum that was likely original, but I found I didn't like it much. I learned, from watching the Untouchables how to hold both ends of the CSP with one hand.
    Speaking of the untouchables. That was my #2 favorite show after W Earp back then. I just found last night that I can watch it on the puter. Now when I finish up Miss Fishers Murder Mysterys, Ill have something else to watch for a long while at a show a night.

17. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

About the online dating; After my wife died I met some very nice people online, one or two from here, many on POF. Almost all were divorcees, and some of the most lovely and sweetest were just too young to be burdened with an old man--

Then I ran across an article by a psychiatrist advising widowers to find a widow from a happy marriage--one who understood what it took to put up with a man's foibles. I posted my resume, got an occasional call, then one day got a note from Arkansas--nothing special, but within a day's round trip and I had nothing better to do.

Two months later, a bit over seven years ago, I was again a married man. Turns out the woman was my age, widowed, smarter and more talented than I am, willing to put up with my nonsense, a darn good cook and just about all a man could want in feminine companionship. Unless she runs me off I am hers for life.

As for the telephones---Sexting, texting; thirteen year old kids are now doing what we did when we got our first automobiles, but we knew who we were doing it with.

tiffanysgallery and Nsoitgoes like this.
  18. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Craigs List Casual Encounters is not a dating site. It is prostitutes and anyone that wants a quickie and nothing more.
    Craigs List does have other sections for people wanting to start a relationship, but not Casual Encounters.
    Casual Encounters seems to be hookers, gals willing to do non-sex full body massages, gals wanting to get guys to send photos, guys operating glory holes posing as women, morbidly obese lonely women and sex talk addicts.

19. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

LOL, Haypoint??????

Where did you get this information?

Back when I was working a gal came into the office one day to complain about here employer. Turned out she worked for a massage parlor and did not want to do "full frontal massages". This old country boy got his ears burned and his eyes opened.