A sheep husbandry question??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Shazza, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you leave your Rams in with your ewes all the time?? Or do you have them seperate and then put them in with the ewes for a few weeks?? then take them out again??
    We leave them in with the ewes all year....we figure let mother nature make babies when she says not when we decide. I looked on past calendars and we had lambs the first year here...middle of Aug...then mid July...this is the third season...no lambs yet. So Mother nature never (well twice now) on purpose delivers lambies in the middle of the coldest time of the year...just after in fact.

So what do you all do?? :)

2. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

we usually seperate ours
    trying not to have any summer births
    over 100 here for the next few days with VERY high humidity
    it's hard enough for them to just survive, I can't even imagine giving birth
    but, if we lived in a different climate, I'm sure we'd change our thinking

3. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I leave my ram in with the ewes. It would be nice to lock him up and know when lambs are due but I'm not willing to do that! A ram locked up here would be a lot more work. He'd end up inside, eating hay, in a stall that would need to be cleaned. Now he is in pasture with everyone else and all I need to do is check the water! The lazy woman's way! <G>

Kathie

4. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Shazza, just to clarify ... July and August are your spring months, right? I am so glad to hear some others leave the rams in with the flock ... I only have 1 ram and 2 ewes and would not want to try separating them ... and when I expand, I hope to just keep everyone together (although if I get to where I have two different breeds, I suppose I'll need to keep two 'groups' of sheep going, ram and ewes of one breed together, so I don't get crossbreeds when I don't want them).

I sense some cross fencing projects in my future ... :)

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Leaving the ram in with the ewes and then with the lambs can lead to serious inbreeding UNLESS you change rams frequently.

My Cal Reds are registered and I must know which of my 3 rams did the dastardly deed. Certain girls are bred to certain boys for specific reasons - not just willy nilly.

6. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

In the past I've left the ram in with the ewes, but that was a very aggresive ram, so I used a sight blinder on him for awhile. That worked but always was leery of being in the same pasture... now I have a new ram; he's still small and respects me. While he does, he can stay in with the "girls" til next year when I plan to get more rams. Than I will provide a seperate area for them so I can keep track of who did what to whom!
    It may also make a diff as to when they breed depending on what type they are. My Barbadous gave birth both spring and summer. Now I have katahdin and so far it's only been in the spring.
    Best wishes!

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Well thanks all...I am glad that others leave their Rams in with the ewes too.
    I have thought of the in breeding issue too, but seeing how our sheep are just for us to eat and for me to spin the fleeces a bit of inbreeding doesnt hurt. The ones with the colorful fleeces get to stay and any naughty ones go to the freezer first. We have a colored eng. Leicester Ram, and he is really friendly and likes a pat in the paddock...our other Ram is a spotty and is a scaredy cat....which is a good thing too. So I can usually match up fathers according to the colors they are.
    Our spring is Aug/Sept and we should have lambs soon. With our drought and all I think Mother Nature has the reproducing under control....making sure the lambs arent born till theres grass in the spring. (I hope thats the way she works)

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to leave them all together. But, lambing in February (middle of winter here) is hard on the sheperdess. I took the ram out in early September for two years and put him back in at the end of November for lambs on my schedule, but we had a January 3 lamb arrive this year, which would be an August 1st breeding, so the rams (sire and two sons) were taken out in mid July this year.

9. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We leave our ram in with the ewes until late summer and then take him out until we're ready for the breeding to start and then put him back in. It makes him more excited to see his girls when he's been away for awhile. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I like to know when they're due so I can be there should there be any problems.

10. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

We leave ram(s) in with ewes year round. We have Blackbelly Hair Sheep and one original cross Katahdin/Blackbelly ewe whom has now birthed twice this year.(with the Blackbelly ram)

Current flock at 19, but those numbers will drop at butchering time. (to about 10)
    I keep two rams from different lines, one horned and one polled. I would like to eventually be able to do some controlled breeding, but for eating purposes the current setup works.

11. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

I've tried penning my Ram up....but he acted so sad and depressed and woudln't come out of it....I accidently left the door open one day and left and he returned with the flock and seemed back to his old self again so I just left him....If I try locking him up again I'll make sure he has a few weathers or something in with him