Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I harvested the last of the veggies this weekend, my carrots. Looking back, I had a few pictures that showed their progress.

Planted bed on June 1st, carrots were on the right of the grape arbor.

Weeding and thinning on July 8th

Filling in, July 22

Checking on the fun new colored mix I was trying, August 9th

A few confused carrots going to seed, October 4th

November 8th, the digging begins!

And the chopping

November 9th, done! I got 40 pints plus what I used fresh out of that little 6'x5' bed! Good job little carrots.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
fantastic !!

Reactions: viggie

·
Registered
507 Posts
That looks great, I had some purple carrots this year too, but when I pickled them they turned EVERYTHING pink. so now my white, yellow and orange carrots are all pink :(

Reactions: viggie

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Carrots can be a wonderful crop! They can grow a LOT of food in just a very small space.

We only had a short row / patch of them this year and we got an amazing harvest.

Congratulations! :)

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Beautiful!
Another option to store them is simply to pull them, set upright in buckets, and surround with soil/sand. They are still "planted", and will keep until you pull them out one by one as you use them. They keep all winter that way in the basement or garage. You can still eat them fresh that way too. I've canned them, but simply replanting them to store seems to be a better option because you can use them raw or cooked, and they don't get mushy.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful!
Another option to store them is simply to pull them, set upright in buckets, and surround with soil/sand. They are still "planted", and will keep until you pull them out one by one as you use them. They keep all winter that way in the basement or garage. You can still eat them fresh that way too. I've canned them, but simply replanting them to store seems to be a better option because you can use them raw or cooked, and they don't get mushy.
I'd prefer to cellar them, but I have a tiny home with no basement and they would freeze in the garage up here :D But this works!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Thanks for posting more about these Viggie! I'm definitely going to plant a color variety next spring, thanks to you. :) Carrots are one of my favorite vegetables, like 'em raw or cooked, just about any way I can get them, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts