A reply from Chuck got me interested...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, May 21, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

He stated he had just came back from Panama in Central America and property was cheap...so I did a search and found this:

http://realestate.escapeartist.com/P-30427/

This is in Belize but the website is pretty cool to just look at the various properties...

We are still moving to NC... :D

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Its not so great, check it all out further.
    We considers Belize a couple years back.
    When you bring all your belongings,
    if you bring a TV you have to pay an enterence tax, as with
    cars, appliances and a lot of other stuff.
    Prices are great but you'll either pay big taxes
    or have to re buy stuff down there.
    You also have to prove a steady income outside of Belize to
    move there permanatly.
    But it did look wonderful.

3. oz in SC

You have to prove an ability to 'pay for yourself' almost anywhere...

As to appliances-who would want them? :haha:

Found another....

[​IMG]

It is fun to look and to think what could be possible....

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have a freind who is seriously looking into this as well. she said, i don't have a tv anyway.... currently her and her husband own and operate a guide and shuttle service in the smokies. she is thinking about relocating and doing the same there.

5. oz in SC

What I can't ever understand is once someone retires and has a fixed income they stay here when the 'world is their oyster' to some extent....

Think if you had Soc. Sec. benefits of $2000/month and lived in a nation where it costs $100/month to live well...

Of course you would not be in the USA.

Most of the real estate sites I have found seem geared towards touristy type vacation spots...

Some of the nations in Central America have GREAT prices on land-of course hope you don't mind the occasional revolution..LOL

6. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Costa Rica is filled with ex-pats due to lower cost of living, excellent medical services, climate etc. It is a democratic country and doesn't even have an army, chosing to spend the money on education and health care.

Yes there are high taxes on any appliances brought in, but if you can live for a couple hundred US a month - those taxes aren't so bad.

7. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

But no snow :waa:
    And one gets to have
    T-storms
    Humidity
    Big Bugs :haha:
    It is appealing but I love winters so much

8. oz in SC

Snow???
    :confused:
    Yuck!!
    :haha:

Humidity?
    :confused:
    There are places that DON'T have high humidity???
    :D

Yeah it is only dreaming as there is little going on here right now.

The interior parts of Costa Rica sound nice.

And it looks SO green and fertile.

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i think the trouble with buying in another country there gov. can step in and say hey this is our land now get off and then they sell it all over again if your not from there there isnt anything you can do about it something to consider

10. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Active Member

Several years back I was talking to a security guard at my old job. He was retired from the military and told me he knew a lot of folks that were living well in Belize and Costa Rica on their pensions. He was considering it himself.

I am kind of with mtman though. Heck, i have been worrying about the stability of our own government for most of my life. I can't imagine living in Central or South America...

As for snow, since I haven't seen any actually stick to the ground in about ten years, I don't think I would miss it.

11. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

one of the reasons the land is so green and fertile looking is because a large portion of the country is environmentally protected.

12. oz in SC

Or because it rains a LOT....rainforests have one thing in common around the world...rain.

Also found this regarding Belize:
    If moving to Belize just to live, you can bring furniture, personal effects and some other items duty free. On boats, cars, TV sets and others, you probably would pay 20%-70% duty.

RETIRING TO BELIZE: (This is a short synopsis:) You must have a regular income of over $1000 US per month. Complete cost $700 US. Not have a criminal record, some bank references. Duty-free on household effects to US $15,000, a car not over 3yrs old. You may have a boat. You will need birth certificates for your family, a police record, passports, and complete medical examination. Application and more information are available from the Belize Tourism Board, Belize City, Belize.

13. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

So tell me anyone................

If you move out of country to retire, do you give up citizenship? Considering taxes, how much cheaper is it if your paying double taxes? Income tax as a US citizen and whatever taxes in your new homeland.

14. oz in SC

No idea...although do you have an income in these nations if you do not work???

As to citizenship,most of these nations grant residency,not citizenship.

I was a resident alien for years here.

My parents weren't Australian,they were simply UK citizens living permanently in Australia.

My mother is now an Australian.

15. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

If you have to provide proof of some income in order to move into the country (as shown with Berlize, 1K US a month min.) you have a taxable income. As a US citizen your responsible to pay taxes on that income. Even if only a SS check (and taxes are withheld) your paying income tax.

Owning property in another country I'm sure has some tax connected to it, not to mention whatever other taxes are paid by the citizens for free medical and whatnot. Your Medicaid (and your paying for it) doesn't do you any good in Brazil, unless you fly back to the US to use it.

16. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We lived in Panama for 8 years. It's beautiful, it's cheap. It's incredibly dirty, with a high crime rate. The laws may have changed by now, but you had to be or be married to a National to buy land when we were there. Not just anyone could buy land, like you can in the States.

I fought bugs constantly. Everything mildewed. Eyelash vipers in your gutters aren't fun. Neither is being woken by howler monkeys at dawn. (at least it's not after the first dozen times!)

I will miss it forever. One dry season evening of sitting outside inhaling the perfumed air from the Brassavola nodosa orchid wipes out all possible irritants of life. If I could go back, I would.

Meg