A reminder on what this board is here for

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tracy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I know I am not on this board as much as when I started this many years ago.
    I do however check the board daily.
    For those of you that have not read the stickys on the top of the board:

To clarify why this board is here and what it is about:

I started in to meat rabbits a few years ago and honestly did not have much knowledge on the meat rabbit industry. I joined any and all rabbit groups wanting to learn as much as I could. Some boards were deffinatley "pet boards" and did not look highly on the meat industy. Needless to say, these groups were not for me.

Other boards "proclaimed" to be "meat rabbit" boards but so many times everything but rabbits were being discussed. Being a "newbie" I wanted info on rabbits not goats or what ever else they were discussing. When I complained about it I was kicked off the board.

This is how this board came to exist. Since I could not find a good rabbit board I created my own. Originally it was hosted under another server but when countryside moved [now homesteading] I moved along with them.

Any one that wants info on rabbits [for meat] is welcome to post here. I believe that even if you are raising rabbits for your own food source that would be "for profit" as this helps lower your grocery bill. Small scale producers are welcome as well as large producers.

What I DONT want is my pet bunny did this kind of posts. There are many forums geared towards that. This is for meat rabbit production.

I also want people to do their homework. There is tons of info online. I would recommend that any one interested in meat rabbits join the PRMA http://www.prma.org/

This board has always been one where little or know moderation needs to be done and I intend to keep it that way.

I do not mind some off topic converstaions as far as what breed/color. What I do mind is personal attacks and or implications that posters are not being honest. These type of posts will be immediatley deleted.

Spinners/ Angora breeders are welcome to post as spinning is or can be a profit making business.

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Tracy, I know I have been one to talk about "what my bunny did today" so sorry, I did read the top sticky, but I guess not well enough!

3. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I sure hope you'll still allow the posts about hair rabbits. I've loved reading about angoras and such. I've about talked my DH into raising rabbits next spring - been getting tons of neat ideas.

Mostly they will be for meat, but I love the idea of raising some for wool, I love textiles too.

Cathy

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

5. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

If it is a problem to discuss general rabbit info on this board then how does one go about starting a board for general rabbit raisers. This is my favorite board I go to it everyday to see if there is something I can learn. If we don't answer general rabbit questions than how will we get new people in the rabbit business. Granted I am not in the meat rabbit business myself, although I raise my own meat rabbits, I also raise mini lops and mini rex for pets. So technically I am in rabbits for a profit. But my business is based on getting others into raising rabbits and I would like a place for them to go to get help if they need it. And showing is another thing, I don't show myself but I do sell to show people and they also need help and advice. This is also something that needs to be addressed. I know they can go other places but this is one of the better boards on the web I have found and I do like to stay with the homesteaders as that is where I feel at home. Can we do something about a new board so that we do not take interfere with your production space. Not trying to be nasty just want everyone to have a place they feel comfortable.

6. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Orphy, have you checked out the pet forum? It's the last livestock forum listed.
    ~Carrie C.

7. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

I really had in mind a place of general rabbit raisers. I have seen the pet formum and really don't want to sift threw fifty people yelling at back yard breeders to find a rabbit entry. I am in this as a business. But I don't produce meat except for my consumption. I want information on breeding, medical info, and knowing who else out there has ideas I can use. I am not interested in the what my bunny did today posts either but I feel like I maybe hijacking a board that is dedicated only to people who are in meat production and I don't want to do that.

8. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

The board is for rabbits for profit..... the pet market is profit. I believe what is wanted here is not the cutiesy stuff you see on the pet forum.... if you have that put it there.... I believe production of any rabbit breed that one sells the kits is wanted here and all ideas on how we can make better profits and cut cost. I would think that you would look to this forum for knowledgeable stuff and to the pet forum for cute stuff.

9. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Orphy,
    I would assume that medical info and such would be fine because it would affect rabbits raised for meat, also. (Tracy?)
    Tracy's post also said, "I do not mind some off topic converstaions as far as what breed/color."
    Ok, I'm off to other sites, now.
    ~Carrie C.

10. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I think what she meant was the kissy huggy bunny pet stuff, and the usual AR rights bent that often accompanies that. There's many ways to make money with rabbits, meat, fur, wool, pets, show animals, I make a lot more money selling my flemish as breeders/show than I would per pound for meat, so thats breeding for profit. Ways to save more kits per litter means more profit, breeding the right colors together to get the most marketable rabbit is for profit, help in choosing the right breeders to keep means more profit, best ways to feed for best gain and condition, etc etc etc, it all ties together, good husbandry means more gain in some way, I don't think she meant literally that we could only talk about meat production alone, if I'm wrong Tracy correct me.

I feel comfortable here too, I breed for pets and show, have quite an interest in the rare breeds. I really enjoy exchanging ideas with the other breeders here, helping each other is a big part of the forum I feel. Still I don't produce rabbits for meat, hope that doesn't mean I'm not welcome.

11. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

You said this better then I.
    This board has always been one that needs liitle to no moderation and I want to keep it that way.
    A few times I have either had to delete or edit post because someone is making personal attacks against another poster. This is not tolerated.

I think this person knows who I am referring to.

General conversations are fine but lets stear clear from rabbit showing type threads. There are many other boards that do the show thing. Pet markets, spinning, raising for you own use, etc is all fine.