A question/problem about LGD

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Batt, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

1. Tucker is a beautiful Grt Pyr about 9 months old. He has never been around an older Grt Pyr. He belongs to a neighbor who intends to shoot him if I don't take him. Seems Tucker has taken to wallowing around some of the smaller goats. Stressed out one who died. No bites, did not eat carcass, Just "loved" him to death...therein lies the problem.

2. I have a 2 y/o Grt Pyr who guards my small(6 and growing) goat herd. ½ brother to #1. He is the most intellegent and guarding dog I have ever owned. I could tell stories...But that is for another day.

Here is the plan...I'll get Tucker (#1) and put hin in the goat pen with Bat (#2) and keep him on a short leash for a week or so. So he can observe the older dog, get aquainted with the new herd, and generally settle down.

After some time, I will let him loose but keep a very close eye on him to see if he has outgrown what I consider a "puppy" phase. If it continues it will render him completely useless.

Thoughts comments and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! I really hate to lose the dog, but will put him down if necessary. I can't have a livestock killer on the place. Kinda like having a politician in charge of taxes.

2. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    We had a pair of young Pyrs that didn't work out for us (not their fault). The big male had no respect for anything. The breeder took them back and reconditioned them for guarding to resell them (we had them w/ chickens). She put him in a small pen with an older doe goat who had horns. She taught him to keep back and off in a week. The breeder put our female in with older dogs and they taught her about goats. Your dog should teach the new dog what is okay or not, he will guard your animals against the younger dog's antics. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work. Our breeder used her older dogs to train and discipline the young ones. I don't know what else to suggest, and I know you can't have a dog around who doesn't work out.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I bet the dog would grow out of this in time.

I would teach the dog the word no. Once you start letting him out with the stock, be there to watch him. If he starts this behavior, tell him a firm "No" and follow it up as needed (with puppies, grabbing the scruff of the neck and shaking it works, I read this is what the mother will do with the pups, it taught my dog the word no). Never let him get away with it and change that habit before he is an adult. When they're young, they learn well.