A question on pumpkins and sqaush

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RenieB, Aug 26, 2004.

1. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

My dh and I stopped yesterday at a local farm side stand. We were surprised to see very orange pumpkins. We asked the lady and she said all her pumpkins and sqaushes were ripe early this year. Don't know what that means for Holloween. But what caused this? I am 59 yrs old and have never seen pumkins ripe this early. We have had a lot of rain and I am wondering if this is the cause or does it mean and early Fall and winter? Maybe some of you folks have some insight into this.

RenieB

2. my guess is they planted early here they wait untill about july to plant pumpkin for haloween.

3. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I stopped at a favorite orchard up in northern KY the other day and asked about when they would have their pumpkins and dried corn ready. The lady told me there was going to be a real big shortage this year cause all of their crop had rotted due to all the rain we've had, and they had called around the state to see about buying from others, and were being told the same thing. I have a couple of volunteer pumpkin vines growing around my front porch and they're making green pumpkins now. Hopefully, at least I can get one or two to make some pumpkin bread. May just buy a round bale from my neighbor and paint a pumpkin face on it, cause may not have a jack-o-lantern this year. :)

4. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

Where are you?

This was my 12th summer in Texas and the coolest and wettest I've seen here.

5. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

My pumpkins are ripening beautifully, plenty of rain here. Also a big thanks to Uncle Wil for reccomending the best tasteing melons I've ever eaten.

6. Ok blue share i won't spit any seeds on ya what kind pray tell did you plant.

7. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my first year planting pumpkins, and mine are just beginning to turn orange. I'm in north central N.C. Am I pretty much on schedule for Halloween pumpkins? I planted them at the end of June. Also, do pumpkins continue to grow much after they start turning?

8. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Squash and pumkins are all ripening early here and we're investing in wool underwear.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My winter squash were ripe in July.

10. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

I am in Central Maine and the people at the stand said they can't understand why the pumpkins and sqaush ripened so early this year. We have a short growing season here but this is way too early. I will check at other stands and see if they are having the same situation. Usually planting is started until after Memorial Day.

RenieB

11. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

I lived in Palermo when I was a kid. You should ask at Johnny's selected seeds in Albion - they're on the web (below). They've got some people working for them (including the owner) who know about everything that it's possible to know about cold climate crops.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/hgindex.html?ct=hg

12. Timedess

Timedess Guest

waaaahhhhh!!! i live in arkansas and the one of my pumpkins that is still alive didn't set any fruit! :waa:

timedess