Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the hair/fiber from a long haired Togg be spun into yarn?
DC

·
Registered
481 Posts
ANYTHING can be spun, it's just whether you'd want to or not!!

If the long hair is anything like what I see on some other goats - I would say it's like the guard hair and NO - you wouldn't want to.

Now the undercoat, the cashmere - YA!
Andrea

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.
She doesn't have her winter coat yet so I will have to see what that's like before I decide. I thought if it was possible I would be able to use it to learn to spin yarn and not have to spend an arm and a leg if I didn't like it or if it was too hard on my hands. I don't have arthritis yet but my hands are very weak and only last for a short period of time doing anything with them.
DC

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
you should probably start with some wool. it is the easiest thing to spin. you should be able to find 100gr for about $8. That's lots to start with. The goat would be interesting later if you wanted to make something like a rug. If you get the knitters gloves from Mary Maxim it might help your hands. I know a couple of people with arthritis that swear by them. They really help support your hands. You should be able to get them somewhere else bit I am not sure where. Will you be drop spindling or using a spinning wheel?
Ann

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably start with a drop spindle and then graduate to the wheel. My mother has a wheel she bought 20 some odd years ago when she lived in the Azores. Its never been used for spinning and is more of a decoration. She said I could have it after I learned to make yarn so its something to look forward to. It needs to be tightened up as the wood "shrinks" in the winter as the humidity lessens but its complete and it does work. Its not your typical spinning wheel since its all wood but the Azoreans used these and I suppose I can learn to also. I also found a "school" for spinning and fiber about 40 miles from my home. I will be checking this out also. I may be able to buy some wool/fiber from them without paying the shipping charge.
DC

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
That sounds great. The people at the fiber classes can probably help you get the wheel working properly when you are ready. I love my drop spindle. I can spin anywhere and you meet all kinds of interesting people when you do it in public. I don't knit so I make little balls of wool I can use in my felting projects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts