Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a foster child that receives SSI. She is developmentally disabled. She gets a SSI check each month. We are required to show what we use it for etc. Right now it comes in the form of a check straight from the Fed Govmt.

In the envelope this month with her check is a card touting US Direct Express Debit Master Card. I was thinking that this could make keeping up with the money spent simpler via the monthly statement.

I am leery of these type things. It is put in the envelope from the Feds with the check. I went to their website and it never mentions whether or not it is actually run by the Fed etc.

If not I wonder why the Fed chose just this one Master Card Debit company?

But back to my question. Has any of the good members here used or currently use this card with their SSI etc? Do you like it? Are there hidden issues they don't talk about etc?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Hi, I get Social Security Disability. Instead of a paper check, I elected to have it direct-deposited into my checking account.

I would think that a very safe alternative for you would be to open up a new checking account with a debit card FOR HER SSI ONLY! Have her benefit direct deposited into that accont, and KNOW that whenever you make a purchase on her behalf, you must use that card.

This way, "her" bank statements will automatically document where her money goes!

Hope that helped!

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
WE get SSI for our daughter as well.. we were REQUIRED to have a DIRECT depoist here. So I have an account for it to go into.. and then just transfere it to ours.
We dont have to "PROVE" what we spend it on... we do fill out a paper 1 time a year to see if any was saved or if it was all spent on needs for her/home.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking along the lines of using the debit from opening her own account as well. Plus I like to be able to look someone in the face at the bank if there is an issue.

I read up on the card offered and it is run by Comerica Bank. NOT the Fed. I wonder how many people assume it is the Fed and then get hit with all these fees etc? Seems crooked to me to do that.

Giraffe we have to keep up with it because she is a foster child. The judge makes us do it.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I started getting my SS disability in '02, they ask if I wanted it in direct deposit or a check. I opted for DD. DH started getting his in '03, he opted for a paper check, but later started the DD.

I like the DD because it's usually always in the bank the day before it's due.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I was payee for my d-i-l for a couple of years. I had the check direct deposited into an account with her name and SS#. I wrote checks as needed and sent a copy of the check register for my 'accounting' once a year. I never had any issues. I did use our local bank.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I would think that a very safe alternative for you would be to open up a new checking account with a debit card FOR HER SSI ONLY! Have her benefit direct deposited into that accont, and KNOW that whenever you make a purchase on her behalf, you must use that card.

This way, "her" bank statements will automatically document where her money goes!

Hope that helped!
That's a smart idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts