A question for the librarians re: keeping track of books

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Hears The Water, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all, I was hoping that those of you that are librarians could answer a question for me. Is there some program that y'all use to keep track of the books? I am not looking for one that enables me to check them out, but to make a list of each book, its call number, ISBN, and other tidbits of info. I am sure that I could probably use Excell (if I ever learn how to use it) for this, but if there is a program already made up for this thing it would probably save me time and effort. Any input is welcome here.... thanks in advance.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

I will try this agan.
    Try this site.
    http://www.libraryelf.com/
    I haven't used it myself, but I would like to know if you like it.

3. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Are you wanting to make a catalogue of the books you own or just trying to keep a list of what you (or the homeschooling kids) have read?

We like http://www.librarything.com/ for a home inventory of books we own. Because it is online we can access it away from home and friends/family can check to see if we already own a book before buying. It also has a pretty good recommendation section so you can find other books to read. Unfortunately it doesn't have a family member rating option so for us the recommendations are skewed as dh and I read different genres.

For keeping records of what we've been reading we use a plug-in for Wordpress (the writing software we use for our blog). Of course you don't have to have an actual online website to have a blog. You can create a locally hosted site and use blogging software just on your computer.

If you are not planning on having a web site or blog in the future though it makes more sense to learn to use software you already own (Excell) and need to use for other things (bookkeeping for your bear business).

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Well, most libraries use programs that are specifically made for library use. The one that my library is on is called Millenium Circulation. Our public catalog (Webpac) is a completely different program. I'm not sure exactly what our system pays for them, but I would guess it's not the sort of thing one could afford for home use. Do you want to use it for something other than keeping an inventory? If all you need is inventory, you could probably just set it up on any of the office programs, and save it to a file, which you could update. Best of luck!

5. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Mmmm, what I am wanting to do is to make an inventory of the books that our co-op owns. I would like to be able to print off a list of the books if I need to. I would also like (but it may not be possible) to print off a list of the books by title or author or even subject in non-fiction. I would like to use this as an inventory as well as to "look up" if we have a certain sujbect covered or if there is a gap that needs to be filled in. I would eventually like for our members to be able to access this information either on our website or from a link on our website.

Strange bear, have I asked this question before? I honestly do not remember if I have, so sorry if that is the case. I looked at Elf, and will be signing up once I find out my pin number. Only one of the three libraries that I go to is on there, but more may join later.

Kat, I went to the site you linked and it looks promising. I will try it out and see what happens. Our library owns probably 1000 books and I feel like I am drowning trying to keep up with getting them all ready for circulation. This just might help.

Thanks again y'all for the suggestions. I will try them out and let y'all know what happens.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

6. FoxfireWoman

FoxfireWoman Questing for Simplicity

Debbie

Check out www.spacejock.com. Simon has a free program that sounds exactly like what you need (even tho I can't quite remember the name of it at the moment). I use several of his programs and they are very simple and stable.

Best
    Kat

7. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

No, my reply the first time I sent it timed out. ARghhhh dial up. So I tried the quick reply and that worked. Sorry it sounded like you had asked that before. Just me and my home computer. :flame: