A question about trucking

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HiouchiDump, Jun 27, 2005.

1. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

(Sorry if this is a duplicate - I posted it earlier, but only the title came through.)

Slightly off topic, but I'm pretty certain one of you will have an answer.

I am contemplating buying a Chuckhouse (a shipping container converted into a sort of mobile home) to put on my land while I build. They do not ship to my location, so it is up to me to find someone to transport what amounts to a 40' intermodal shipping container.

How do I find a trucking company that does individual jobs? I cracked the phone book and called a few places, but they only do long term contract work. I'm sure this can't be as difficult as I am making it...

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Around here I would contact an independant trucker and negotiate his fee. Additionally, you will need to contact someone on the delivery end to get the container off the trailer. Coordinating both these tasks may offer a challenge but I am certain you can accomplish both.

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Where are you buying the container from? Is it a business or some kind of storage yard? They might deliver it for a fee, or have info on companies who do that. How did they get the container, was it delivered or did they pick it up themselves?

HTH

4. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

The container is actually a finished product. I am, unfortunately, two counties farther away than they will deliver and they didn't have any particularly helpful information on finding a truck.

I thought this would be a simple matter of finding a freight company and scheduling a pick up and drop off, using one of those container trucks that can off-load a container. Unfortunately, it seems finding a company to take an individual shipment is not that easy. It may be that my area is too small and I need to try a larger area.

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Call a landstar agent and offer it for a fee -- also might try werner, schneider, ace doran -- depending where you are and where it is! Fuel is sky high now, so prices up too -- if its small enough where it can be part of a load, try to ship it as a partial == take a bit longer but cheaper! Also go to the nearest truck stop and put a note on the board there -- might get lucky!

6. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Go to a place that sells manufactured homes. Ask them who does their moving for them (to hook you up with a driver) Those people are experienced in moving the items and loading/unloading them.

7. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

You might want to contact the nearest rail/intermodal yard where containers are loaded and unloaded, they may have a list of drayage/cartage agents that handle containers. The local truck stop. Ask local businesses that use containers who moves theirs for them.

Share the Love,

Diamondtim