A Question about pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by sage, Nov 17, 2004.

1. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Hi All,
    Next year we are going to raise a pig or two and would like a question answered.

After you butcher do you let it hang like beef?

Thanks, sage

PS Also do you hang sheep and goats too?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

aging the meat will improve the texture, whether it is hung in a fridge, or packaged as parts and left in the fridge for a week is immaterial

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Sage,
    It pays to hang all meat in a chiller if possible. It "sets" the meat and if doing your own butchering, makes it much easier to cut up. If no chiller is available, a cool windy place (under a tree, or in my case behind my cowshed) is the next best option. I also go one further and freeze the bladders from wine casks and pack them inside the carcase.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

We age all carcasses, including poultry. It makes for a more tender end product, especially when one is dealing with animals who have exercised their entire life. Like George, we cut up and age in the fridge for three days. Living in Florida, there is no optimum time to hang a carcass outdoors.

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My husband has butchered most of the animals we eat. When he does a pig he kills, skins, guts it and cuts it in half and then hangs it for 24 hours. If he does a deer he likes to hang it longer. You do need to careful with the temp, that is why we try for Oct/Nov so the temp is around 30-40 or in the spring. He was looking for info on hanging goats, I think he said it was something like four days.

Here is a link to the Pork Slaughtering, Cutting, Preserving, and Cooking on the Farm - USDA Farm Bulletin 2265 (my husband printed it and refers to it while butchering.)

http://kerryz.net/pork-fb2265/

6. According to a processing book I have it states that pork does not age well like beef and other red meats. It says to hang just 24 hours to get all the animals heat out and then process. However, when I was a young child my grandparents would hang a pig in the smoke house during the winter months. But they would salt cure and smoke it while they were using it. Every morning they would go in and cut off what they needed for the day. They would then rub salt cure on the fresh cut and then build a small smoldering fire in the middle of the dirt floor.

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I let mine hang for three to four days in around freezing temps. They went to the butcher after that. He told me that next time to saw them in half down the spine before letting them hang to ensure all areas age the same. The inside was warmer than out which could lead to problems.

8. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

No, just 24 hours.

Yes. I have read that if you hang from the pelvis so that the legs are relaxed it ages better.

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont