Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I wish I could give that to some people right now, but they aren't exactly sure what I do or don't have and I don't want them to know. All they know is that we grow a garden and I can a lot. And that we like to do target practice. :whistlin:

I tried to encourage them to grow a garden but they're too busy at the beach or professional sporting events.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
This is why you don't ask nicely for someone else's food, when you are starving and wishing you had prepared to take care of your loved ones, and your children are crying, and y'all can smell that ham frying.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
One of my old school teachers died back in September. He was libertarian before it was a word. He taught science and biology back in the early 70s and I remember him specifically saying, "If you think you are going to be inside of your 12' fence, grilling steaks while the the masses are starving outside, you are dreaming. One whiff of that food, and you and your's are history.". :D. A very smart man. You'll never kill them all.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my old school teachers died back in September. He was libertarian before it was a word. He taught science and biology back in the early 70s and I remember him specifically saying, "If you think you are going to be inside of your 12' fence, grilling steaks while the the masses are starving outside, you are dreaming. One whiff of that food, and you and your's are history.". :D. A very smart man. You'll never kill them all.
Maybe not, but you can be the hardest target.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe so, but we would try to keep what we have hid and hold out for as long as possible. DH and I could never get other family interested in prepping. So no doubt there will be plenty of kids and grandkids showing up to be fed. We can't give family that letter, but we can give them guns so at least we'll have help manning that fence.

At some point, to survive TEOTW long term, I think people would have to band together into communities for defense and survival. Even then, the community would have to make some hard decisions about when to help those in need and when they must stand and fight in order for their own people to live. IMO prepping doesn't ensure our survival but it gives us a fighting chance. And if DH and I don't make it in that case, and there is no option to bug out, then hopefully we'll hand over whatever we have left to the kids and go to God in peace.

Thinking about this reminds me of the books One Second After and Lucifers Hammer and how those communities had to turn people away. Good books IMO and how I imagine something like that might go down.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I bet if you shoot the hungriest ones first the others may go to a place that is easier pickings Another reason not to have close neighbors :runforhills:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
.. "If you think you are going to be inside of your 12' fence, grilling steaks while the the masses are starving outside, you are dreaming. One whiff of that food, and you and your's are history.". :D. A very smart man. You'll never kill them all.
Knowing you are amid the starving masses it would take a total idiot to GRILL a STEAK. Under those conditions, whether it be steak or chicken, mine will be cooking in a pressure cooker where smells are locked inside and kept to a bare minimum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd bet not. Not many people here have a castle with moat, or a twelve foot fence. I'll trust more in Proverbs 15:1.
As a Christian, I always appreciate when someone quotes scripture, even when I don't agree with what conclusion someone has drawn from it.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Knowing you are amid the starving masses it would take a total idiot to GRILL a STEAK. Under those conditions, whether it be steak or chicken, mine will be cooking in a pressure cooker where smells are locked inside and kept to a bare minimum.
Yes, keep stuff hidden and cook discreetly. Look dirty and hungry just like the rest.

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,220 Posts
I am sorry to bust your bubble but it isn't the rabble that will come. It will be the town fathers with borrowed tanks collecting for the good of all. They will be in their fine houses giving nice speeches on it was some others fault and you were one of their supporters and have no right to what you have stole over the years.
Before you jump on me this has happened here. Your history doesn't explain why american citizens citizenships were stripped because they lived in the south. How property was confiscated because they were oriental.
You will have to be invisible to the public.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
A few of our friends prep, but not sufficiently. They are working on it, but are too caught up in one upping the Jones' to gain much ground. They know better than to come here. One who is a close friend made that statement of "coming to your house", and was told point blank, "hate for you to die in my driveway". Kinda got him a bit more motivated.
One friend is very proficient with it however. He made a slightly different statement to us..."when it all goes south, we (our families) should team up".
Ironically, his boy is coming over this weekend to learn how to make venison jerky.

Matt

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'd bet not. Not many people here have a castle with moat, or a twelve foot fence. I'll trust more in Proverbs 15:1.
I'm figuring a few bodies left laying around the front yard would be a bigger deterrent than any fence.. .

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Ironically, his boy is coming over this weekend to learn how to make venison jerky.

Matt
mmmmm.. Yep, it is that time of year again :D

We had a land owner doe hunt this past weekend, but I didn't do any hunting... WAY too warm out, and I wouldn't have been able to let anything hang. I'm just waiting for that first deer though for the deer jerky..

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts

according to historians during the black plague many of the european aristocrats survived because of the large land holdings out in the vast country side...they stayed away from catching it but they had gardens and all the other things that go with land...livestock,hedgerow goods,wildgame,etc etc.

those nice tall walled gardens were not for looks.

people back then knew more about living closer to the land than today and its myopion they were tougher too.....much knowledge has been lost by humans since then about the basics of living simple.oh we can rig a vcr to record....fix computers and such technical stuff....but know little about how the natural world works in domestic gardens and animal husbandry or wild processes.

i had a brainiaque in a wilderness area once and he sat huddled up in a military coat saying he was freezeing as i walked around in longhandles cooling off catching fish for supper....i told him if you get out of the shade of the tree and into the sun you will be warm in minutes...wasnt long till he was out of the coat....ya just cant make certain things up in life....lol...to be fair he showed me first cd external rom...i think thats what they called them back then its been so long ago and other various computer things i had ever seen.

but i agree in a subdivision setting and the way people pile up in civilization....ohhhyyyy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts