Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a poison cherry? Or a berry that looks much like a Bing Cherri? There is a kid near us that claims the berry is poison. Some of the kids around claim to have eaten one and gotten sick to their stomachs.
To me it looks like a Bing. But I dont know cherries. It is the same size and color, maybe a bit firmer but it may just not be completely ripe yet.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
blue8ewe said:
Is there such a thing as a poison cherry? Or a berry that looks much like a Bing Cherri? There is a kid near us that claims the berry is poison. Some of the kids around claim to have eaten one and gotten sick to their stomachs.
To me it looks like a Bing. But I dont know cherries. It is the same size and color, maybe a bit firmer but it may just not be completely ripe yet.
This is why people should put their location in their profile. Without knowing where you are there is no way of knowing what may or may not be growing nearby.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Fact is that ALL cherries are toxic. Not the outer ripe fruit, but most of the rest of the plant including the seeds. The seeds (or pits) contain cyanide which could be toxic if you ate enough of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts