Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to 6 2 day old pigs. Would I have to bottle feed them or could I feed them milk out of a pan???

·
Registered
949 Posts
When we have had to feed a young pig like that, here is what we do. I cook a small amount of cream of wheat (for the iron and grain) and add to that two eggs and some evaporated milk, a spoon of DE, a dash of salt, and a few drops of liquid vitamins. Stir it good and make sure it's cool but not cold. Place it in a flat pan (borrow mom's cake pan) and dip his mouth (not his nostrils) in the pan a few times until he gets the taste. He'll soon do fine eating from the pan.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
that young would have to be bottle fed.

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could get the sow also, but she is meaner than the devil. These hogs were trapped on a guys land. They are half wild hog and half hamp or duroc. I really cant remember. I dont want a mean pig.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i have just never seen them take to the pan that young but after a week or so i could see doing that.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Maybe it depends on the breed but we find that they take to the pan easier if they have not learned what a teat is. When they get hungry and you get that milk on their mouth, they learn pretty quick.

I would be careful with a wild pig, even part wild. They are just that, wild animals and can be very dangerous as they grow.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
AJ, I agree with Piglady in that you would be better off to pan feed them if you were to take them on. But I wouldn't take them on. They have a mother and I won't take on any piglets that have a live mother that can do the job a damn site better than I can. So what's this guy going to do? Shoot the mother and give the piglets to you? Sorry, but can't quite get my head around this at all.

And of course she's mean, she's a wild pig. Just because she has domestic in her doesn't mean that she's going to be quiet. I've taken on wild pigs and haven't live to rue the day.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts