Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The pig doesn't like to get out of the way when I dump the feed, and it doesn't seem to mind the hitch hiker! This chicken will do this to either pig that has any feed on it. None wasted and its amusing to me! The pigs dont mind the chickens at all.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
way to cute... you know it is so odd how some people can have their animals all together with no problems and then Iknow others that have had their chickens eaten by the pigs. glad to see yours are all happy together.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Both our pigs and chickens free range in the same pasture with no casualties.

We've never had a chicken ride a pig's back though.

Too cute!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first two pigs used to eat baby chicks (only the little ones) but this one and my yorkshire have never eaten any. There is three chicks like the one in this picture and they pretty much live in the pig pen. They left their mama at only a few weeks old and hung out in the pig pen instead. I will catch them sitting on the pigs all the time in the sun. For awhile they even slept in the pig shelter. Chickens are always in the pig pen but its like the pigs dont care. Im glad too.. I can't keep the chickens out LOL.. They slip through even with the electric fencing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My boar grew up with chickens when he was little. He loved to play with the roosters, chase them and then he would buck and run in a little cirle to get their attention. One day as he was growing much bigger by the minute he hooked one with his head and stunned the poor thing, then proceeded to bump it around with his nose, finally deciding that laying on it would make it get back up and play........this happened all in the course of a minute as I was running the the pen. Well needless to say any chicken thereafter was removed so it wouldn't have such a tragic end. Wish we could put the chickens back in they really break down the waste in the pen. Oh well. Loved your photo though!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
My critters all roam free. The poultry sleep on top of a sleeping hog. The poultry also fly up on the back of the equine to take a ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts