A pet peeve of mine about this great site

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Torch, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Why don't people on this site include in their profile where they live?

On a site like this, knowing where somebody lives can be very helpful in my opinion. We get posts about the weather and about gardening and I'll read replies from people that, without knowing where they are, are useless.

For example, today there is a thread from a person on this site who is complaining about the weather. Hey, I have NO PROBLEM about somebody complaining about how hot it is. It is hot here TOO. Problem is, the person making the complaint doesn't list where she is! How am I supposed to ridicule her by saying that it's hotter here, neener neener, etc. if I don't know where she is? She might be in death valley for all I know and if I were to ridicule her improperly she could neener neener me back. Not cool.

fwiw, I'm being a hypocrite. My location currently just says 'Texas'. Whoopdeedo. Texas has all kinds of weather and all kinds of terrain. Saying Texas really isn't saying much. I'm going to go change mine right now. Would some of you who don't list your location please consider adding it too?

Thanks for putting up with this little rant from an annoying n00b.

Michael

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm in Oklahoma about 20 miles from the Arkansas state line. I live in the Oklahoma Ozarks!! I'm surrounded by water (a river on one side and a lake on the other) which contributes to the 987,0000000% humidity here.

I'm somewhere between zone 7 and 8.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. But my nose hurts. :waa:

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    In that case...

Quit your whining, Yankee!!! Neener Neener :D

btw, I was not at all intending to criticize you. I just used your post as an example to illustrate something that I've been meaning to get off my chest.

Thanks for providing me with that valuable service. You are a credit to this board, to the great state of OK and to your nation.

Michael

p.s. - My oldest was born at Ft. Sill

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: Holy moly, it's a Texan!!!!

:eek:

Put up yer dukes, buster!!!! :yeeha:

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Yankee? ... well, I'd heard them Texans weren't too smart but I had no idea the extent. :D

J

6. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

Ha,ha,ha. My state is bigger than your state. neener neener to you.

Seriously though I suppose you have a point if you really want to brag or something. Living up here I've found that in the last couple years I can't brag much about being colder that the lower 48. But we still have longer winters though. :cool:
    Linda T.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Not at all, Torch! I didn't take it as criticism. :) My nose simply feels like it's going to explode at any moment now, so i'm kind of spacey.

That doesn't get you out of your admission to being a Texan, however. Prepare to rumble!!!! :yeeha:

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Um.... Err..... Maybe INSTRUCTIONS would be helpful???? Geesh, Country.... YOu can put the info in your little PROFILE and it will show up EVERY time you post with your name.. Like Mine does.. and Um.. Torch! and um... ;)

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

GO to top of page.. click "User CP" THEN "profile".. then go down to 'location'. :):)

10. charles

charles Well-Known Member

I prefer more than a modicum of anonymity. But like Countrygrrrl said, the weather today is really hot and humid (N. Misssissippi).

11. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Hey, Chickflick--
    I live a couple of counties SW of Texarkana, but I always thought it was too damn CLOSE to Dallas!!!

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But that would be too simple. :)

13. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My pet peeve is slightly different, Folks will ask a question without proper background information. Maybe it's on one of the livestock forums and they omit their level of ability or they forget to mention some little important detail until later in discussion.

My all time biggest complaint is when people won't bother to register and don't follow up on their own threads. We like to know how things turn out and if someone has gained a bit of education along the way.

14. While we're talking about pet peeves--why doesn't someone make a list of all these letters and what they mean? ex: LOL, DH, ROFL, ETC, ETC, ETC....
    I figured most of them out without TOO much difficulty, but have spent considerable time on some and still don't have a clue.

15. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL = Laughing out loud
    BTW = By the way
    FWIW = For what it's worth
    IMHO= in my humble opinion
    BUT ETC has me stumped....

16. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i agree, it's annoying. i'll look at someone's profile even so see if a state is listed when they are asking something like "how many cows can i put on an acre?" there's a big difference between the answer for illinois and nevada!

if anonomity is your thing.....you ain't the only one in your state, i guarantee it!

jena

17. Sorry about that-I meant "etc."-etcetra. I sort of got in a lather.
    Thank you for the list. Here are some more: ROFL, LMAO, OTFL. ?????

18. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

ROFL - Rolling on Floor Laughing
    LMAO - Laugh(ed, ing) My A(slang for donkey) Off
    OTFL - On The Floor Laughing
    ????? - Someone Please Help Me Figure These Out Before I Go Insane Learning Your Language!

19. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Waaaal, thet Irate Texican has got a pint or two!

When I first signed up on this board I did include the fact that I live in the People's Republic of California. Later, I noticed it had gone away as well as a couple other things.

SOOOO! How do we get back in to make those changes. I'm too disputer illiterate to figure such things out unless they are even simpler than I am.

I've got no problem letting your folks know sorta where I am

bearkiller

20. Thank you so much Life will be less confusing now.
    Did I leave out any?