A Penny Will Ward Off Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gayle in KY, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I found this on another site. I wonder if it will work. I'd try it myself, but I've only seen one mosquito here in 10 years.

http://www.bringemon.org/

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

folks been doing it here for a long time although with no penny. it really works and it seems to be that the bag with water looks like a paper hornets nest and they are predatory on flies. I can hang one by the front door and leave it open and not have any flies although there are many outside because of my animals etc.

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Hey, I might try that! I DO have flies around here. Thanks for the tip.

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I tried this a couple years ago after hearing it. I still got flies in my house. Maybe it was because I didn't put a penny in, plus I used sandwich bags, and not gallon bags. I'll have to try it again, and see if it works. My kids must have been born in a barn, because they always leave the door open as they run outside 100 times a day! :rolleyes:

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

With my luck, those @#¤* bugs would probably use a "scary" bag of water as a deluxe swimming or breeding pool. :grit:

But hey, it's worth a try.

/VM

6. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Based on the biology - the life cycle of the mosquito - that is a much more likely scenario... :nerd:

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I thought that we were talking about mosquitos, not flies. easy to see how info can get distorted.
    I don't think that mosquitos have the ability to reason as to what may or may not eat them. They probably have brains about the size of a gnat. maybe smaller. If I were a betting man I'd say that the copper in water was poisonous to the larvae of mosquitos so giving them a place to lay eggs and killing all those eggs would seem to be a pretty good deterent to them reaching maturity.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to the local people in a village that probably think the world is still flat. Call me cautious.
    Copper pennies can be poisonous to fish, which is why it is not good to throw them into fountains that have fish in them.
    Copper is also a really good way to kill moss on a roof or on the ground, as its poisonous to plants. Ask a roofing company why they put copper strips on a shady roof.
    copper is poisonous to humans too. It has been shown to leave those working the metal with more than trace amounts of arsenic in their systems. Check out the show on the guy who they found that was thousands of years old in the austrian alps.