A nuc directly into 2 deeps?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Mountaineer, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Will this work? All my frames are completely undrawn- pierco plastic. I'm picking up 6 nucs on the weekend. I have nowhere out if the weather to keep the 2nd deeps, and hoping I could put it right on top of the deep with nuc....
    I figured commercial beekeepers likely do this to save time?
    I don't want them to think there is too much space and flee. But I'm serious about no space to store them!
    I will be feeding within hive with frame feeders till they are drawing good.
    Have you tried it? Did it work just the same?
    Thanks for any info!!

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

It's pretty unlikely that they'll leave since they have brood. The only problem I would see is they'll expand straight up and ignore the frames to the sides. You would have to rearrange later.

If it was wax foundation, definitely wouldn't work.

What about putting them in one deep, then the inner cover, spare deep, then the outer cover?

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Dcross- thanks- yes that'd work fine! Simplicity is key- that'd fit perfect.

4. Jack Parr

Jack Parr Well-Known Member

You do not post your location, but since you are just now " picking up nucs " I am guessing that you are " up north ". You do not state how many frames of bees, brood, feed etc your nucs have. I'm guessing five but some nuc-ers provide four. Four or five frames is not that many bees in a standard hive box for starting out and I would not provide more space at that point.

One of the problems with providing too much hive space for us Southerners is the Wax Moths, and other unwanted insects entering and setting up house keeping in the hives. If there are not enough bees to tend to the houskeeping chores properly you may be bothered with those unwanted whatever. There is a desired bee space for heat retention which is needed for proper brood rearing. Bees can and do make comb out in the open where I live and they do raise brood but since we operate with hive boxes the correct method is to provide sufficient space but not too much of it. The normal practice for us is one deep with 9-10 frames. I personally started with 9 frames but quickly found that 10 frames are better to try and control unwanted comb. building.

I don't understand " no place to store spare boxes "? ? Spare boxes can be left out in the open laying on their sides, or, if desired can be covered with " contractor black trash bags " which are sturdy. The beekeepers/nuc sellers I have dealt with here leave piles of hive equipment/boxes stacked,uncovered, around their places/bee yards and they do OK, or, so it seems.

I do keep unfilled honey supers on my hive stack but we don't have much cold weather down here. I also have colonies/hives with many bees which keeps the unwanted bugs out.

I am currently keeping nine hives and I really do not know what or how commercial honey producers operate whenever they start new hives.

Hope this helps.

Jack