A Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mrsmechanic, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mrsmechanic

mrsmechanic New Member

Hi,
    I am new here. And to homesteading/country living. I am wondering what to do about a situation. We moved to this property in March of this year. It is surrounded by another persons property on the north and west sides and he allows his friends to hunt during deer season. He has told us that he will tell the fellows who hunt on his land about our family (with children) who live here now. He also told us not to let the children go deep into the woods during hunting season (on his property that is) but it is fine for other times. He is a nice man.

I am just wondering how can we take precautions to alert the hunters. Our boys like to play in the woods on our property. It would be sad if one of them were shot or something like that. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Personally I stay out of our woods during hunting season except to walk the dogs. I have bright orange clothing for myself and vests for the dogs. I think the best thing I do is attach a small cow bell to each dog on their collar. Between the noise and the color any sane, sober hunter should know we are in the area. If you don't think your boys are going stay out of the woods I would suggest you dress them like my dogs and put them in orange vests with a loud bell on their belt loops.

3. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

hello,
    the woods are off limits for our boys during hunting season(unless they are hunting w/ their dad), we have 39 acres 5 acrers are cleared with our house and yard. the resr are woods with woods adjoing our property.
    to much of a riskfor an accident. just last year we heard about a grandfather hunting w/ his grandson and he accidnety shot and killed him. i say stay out the woodscertainly early morening and evening when people may be hunting.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I agree - stay away from the woods in hunting season. Your neighbor may talk to the polite hunters, but the crazies will be on his land without permission and not know you are there at all.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm with all of the above. STAY OUT of the woods during hunting season. You have no idea how far a bullet can travel... a quarter mile or more in some cases. Nobody would deliberately shoot your kid, but accidents can happen and "sad if one of them were shot or something like that" rather doesn't begin to cover it, does it?

I had a guy discharge a heavy weapon a few yards from the back of our house, 3x, then burst from the woods and shout at my husband "I thought I saw a bear.. did you see which way it went?" Leaving aside my husband's reaction (USMC, not pleasant) this guy thought of himself as a responsible hunter. Had no idea our house was there when he fired, and truly thought he was shooting at a "bear." (WHAT he was shooting at has never been determined).

Stay the heck out of the woods, dress in bright colors, keep the pets close, and be aware at all times during hunting season.

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, stay out of the woods. Unfortunately our area has turned into what I call the "new suburbia"---10 acres and a big house, two big dogs and a pony (or dirt-bikes). With this new suburbia comes gun people who know very little about hunting but go out and do it anyway---frequently after a few beers. They also think they are teaching their children (as young as six)---all on 10 acres or less. I've heard them out there at all hours day and night. Once I went over there to see what they were shooting at----nothing, not even a target, just banging away. We have them on all sides now. I've talked to the sherriff and he says they have to have at least 10 acres to shoot at all, but no one inforces the law.It's a crazy, dangerous world out there. I know those big deer rifles can shoot from hill-top to hill-top, through walls, but I don't know that these gun people do. All I can do so I see: I marked and fenced our property, told neighbors we have animals on it, but I mark them with orange during deer season, and talked to the sherriff, and stay out of the woods, even my own. But how on earth can they be hunting after dark? It's crazy and getting crazier.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Sung to the tune of "Teddy Bear Picnic":

"Don't go out in the woods today....today is the day the good ole boys play". Sing this everyday until hunting season is over! Better safe than sorry. It's a shame but landowners have to hibernate, so to speak. during this time. It is my favorite season but I don't dare enjoy my own land until tresspassing season is over.

8. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Hunting season is a dangerous time to be in the woods for anybody. Before it starts be sure sure and post boundry makers on the woods at least every 30 ft to let people know this is the line. Paint orage markers on the trees and keep kids out of the woods in the mornings and late afternoons. Usually kids make enough noise to keeps hunters away but a bullet travels along ways.

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Since we live in a suburb there is no hunting right around us because there are no woods except a little (tiny) around our property (you could throw a rock through it).

But we do plan to move to the country in hte future and i should know when does hunting season start generally and how long/end?

brural

10. lstarr

lstarr Guest

We ran into the same situation when we first moved out to the sticks and all I can say is that you absolutly need to post no hunting and no trespassing signs on the border of your property. This way, God forbid anything ever goes wrong, you won't be liable. From a legal standpoint, if something were to happen, at least you have the piece of mind knowing there is action you could take.

Otherwise, just wear bright clothing and try to stay clear of the woods during hunting season.

Lisa

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi! brural....Any place that sells hunting licenses will have free booklets that tell you when each season starts and stops in which district. They do vary depending on the district and also according to what weapons can be used(bows, muskets, rifles etc)and the species that can be hunted. There are maps in there too so you can tell which district you are in. ;)

We have them here at Walmart, BiMart, Sears and any gun shop, hardware store or Mini Market.

About hunting in general...My cousin works at a Mini market on a well used road that leads to unlimited woods. You would not believe the numbers of so-called "Hunters" on their way to the forests, that come in drunk and buy more beer! It is really scary and I take more precautions now than I used to.

As noted above, I only walk on paved roads with my dogs through out the rifle season or I put the dogs in the jeep and head for the lake where there is no hunting anywhere around.

It is unreal! LQ

12. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

take a whistle into the woods with you and blow it every so often

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I would put up signs that say "Private Property. NO HUNTING. Children at play in woods." but I would also keep the kids out of the woods, especially early and late in the day.

We wear orange sweatshirts, etc. and hats and I'm getting orange collars, etc. for the dogs (but plan to keep them close to the house).

It's dangerous. My sister lives on 56 acres that only her husband and my brother are allowed to hunt on and her HOUSE has been shot up by tresspassing hunter/idiots. She is afraid to let her two kids outside during hunting season.