A new year, and a new plan!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, Dec 29, 2004.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We bought 9 acres in MO back in April ..... its undeveloped.... has a pond and a spring.... it also has nice flat glade area at the highest point of the property suitable for camping or putting a trailer temporarily....... it has gorgeous gently sloping hills and an awesome pond .... (of course, I'm not biased at all, am I?? LOL)

We live approximately 800 miles away right now... so making weekend trips up to the property to begin construction, etc. is out of the question..... its a one shot deal.... we make the move and begin our new lives........ (DH will have a job secured BEFORE our move tho, don't worry.... we aren't crazy!! :)

Our plan was to move out on the land raw in the early spring and build at our own pace....... DH will work off the land while we do this.... We were going to live in tents and then build a small shelter before winter to live in until the house is built (in increments)....... cost about $2500.00 for the shelter depending on lumber prices in the future..... (would be converted to either bunk house for sons or guest for mils.... :) This was going to be an undertaking that was to fall directly on my shoulders while he worked off the property..... with four children 17, 14LD7, 7, and 2 ....

Since this "survival camping" was quite a radical change for us, we planned on camping for a few months here before we made the move, however, that isn't going to happen now since the people sold their property and we don't know anyone else we could do it with..... So we need to think a bit smaller... more in line with how we live now, just scaled down IMMENSELY!!

In trying to assess why DH seems to be so "worried" on the subject of moving, I finally got him to admit that he is concerned about giving up some creature comforts along the way..... working 40 hours a week, to crawl into a TENT at night doesn't appeal to him at age 50..... he just can't see himself doing it every nite for ???? months and being happy about it!!......dirt and mud everywhere in the tent... soggy damp clothes from the tent... etc........ so we have compromised, and while he is willing to use a composting toliet INSIDE the house(altho skeptical) and haul drinking water (very willing) , I am willing to concede that a used mobile home (so we aren't on the ground sleeping each nite and protection from the elements (both weather and animal related!) and will be used to provide a home for our MR son later down the road....) is a better route for us than first thought (I guess I forgot we aren't as young as I remember) .... initial investment of about $3000......

we would then install a woodstove, put bales around the mobile for insulation .... it would be already wired for electrical use........ we will use a cistern at least for a few months after we arrive until we either tap the spring or drill a well)..... composting toliets INSIDE the mobile home not as an OUTHOUSE (that really bothered him!! He doesn't like COLD!!!), and we will have electric on-site when the trailer is delivered so we could have POWER in the house......... I would be able to use the washing machine in the mobile home but will put my own water in and out each load...(eliminating the need for "running water")

We will build some hoop houses and pole barns for storage of what doesn't fit in the house, and then begin work on the land.... gardening, out buildings and fencing for animals, animals and then finally the house plans.... We still have all of our camping supplies and equipment for use as we see fit... camping in the summer, enjoying the outdoors as much as we want... meals outdoors in the screened tent - cooking outdoors as much as possible.... yet we would have a house "immediately" to drag ourselves into each nite after a LONG days work if we wanted to or if nature neccessitated it........ coffee in the coffee pot in the morning without damp feet!! :) I like that thought!!

With the investment of immediate and sufficient shelter in the mobile home, we would be free to immediately start on the "self sufficiency" aspect - gardening, animals, etc.... then start building the following spring..... but we wouldn't be under the gun as much for providing shelter and being warm when the weather turns bad....

Am I forgetting anything??? I sure could use some input, and any ideas you might think of.....

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I am planning what you are intending right now. I'm going up in the morning to walk the property and if I like it, to sign on the dotted line. It just me and my 2 teens daughters 16 and 13. We'll be doing all the work outselves with very limited funds. I look at it as an adventure, but it's pretty scary too. I'll be working about a 2 hour drive from home. I have been able to cut back to 3 days a week, so that will help. We have to move from our current location asap, so we'll be doing this during the winter months. We're in GA and it doesn't stay cold for may days at a time, but it does get cold and Jan. is the coldest month.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

One thing you did not mention. If I were going to get a mh and use bales around it for insulation, I would also put what northerners call a 'snow roof' over it. You build a pole shed over the mh. Then you can add additional insulation over the mh roof. Not only will you be more comfortable with lower heating/cooling bills, the mh roof won't leak. I've yet to see a standard mh roof that didn't leak. Then place your straw bales and plaster them. You now have a much more comfortable, more perm structure. Be sure you have some kind of foundation to keep the bales off the wet ground. RR ties, old tires packed with earth and covered with plastic, used concrete blocks, flat field stone, whatever you have.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Tami , you can buy a used 40 foot , 5th.wheel for between 8 and 10 k , and they are in good shape! http://www.rvonline.com/ This is a very good website for finding a used RV . Since your new place is going to be in Missouri , you can sort the listing of 5th wheels by "location" , i.e.state . maybe you can find one in a state adjoining Miss . You really need to have some covered parking prior to the onset of winter so you can store your things and park your vehicles . I'd stay away from motor homes because you won't beable to afford one that will accommodate your family whereas a 40 foot 5th.wheel should provide a nice home for several years allowing you and DH to take your time in deciding what kind of home you would like to construct , goood luck , fordy.. :)

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you ever built a home before?? Get ready for the shock that it will take 3 times as long and cost twice as much as you thought.

I am just finishing up my 3200 SF straw bale home and have been at it for approx 3 1/2 years if you include the outbuildings and fencing. This is the 5th home I have built.

6. texastami

Yes, I have gutted and remodeled an entire house before..... even removed added rooms and sections.... So yes, I have built a house before... and I know what we are in for....

Thats just the point.... I want to be able to take our time, not rush building in any aspect.... and enjoy the country living WHIILE we do it... DH is much more comfortable working at a slower pace and I know he will be much happier with the work..... :)

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you have a good plan. You will be much happier having somewhere besides a tent to call home while you go about building. I also like to build a detached shop before I build a house so I have a place for tools and materials, etc., a place to work from while undertaking the rest. It takes a lot of pressure off and provides secure dry storage for your belongings.

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought an ultra dumpy 10x50' trailer when we bought our first piece of bare property in MI...served us for 3 years until we got our house built....it gave us a servicable bath/kitchen ....didn't have water for over a year and took a weekly shower at the mil's but it sure beat a tent! Finally drove a point and had water enough to choose whether to flush the toliet or wash the dishes!! Another idea would be to build your barn and partition off a small apartment...this is what some friends did; gave them a place to live and a place to store building materials out of the weather--and locked up for safekeeping. A tent leaves you pretty darn vunerable.

Where are you gonna be located in MO??? Our township/county doesn't have building restrictions which is good and bad but at least,it makes an outhouse fesible. DEE

9. texastami

We are going to be located in Douglas Co...... We plan to use composting toliets - not outhouses... :)
    (My understanding is that outhouses are ok as long as it doesn't affect groundwater..... but we are planning a composting toliet....)

Mutti... where are you at? And ultra dumpy goes for how much?? LOLOL... we are estimating about $3000 for a 3 bedroom dump.... :) is that a fair price? I don't care about running water or septic as long as the electric in it is good.... we plan to do alittle "renovating" to it anyway (walls and such) to make it more useful for our family while we live in it.......

Any dealers in the area you can recommend for a good deal?? Or at least to stay away from???? LOL

10. Mutti

In our local weekly shopper I see two different trailers located nearby your new property for sale by private owners....a 12x65'mobile home at $2500 in Dora and a 14x70' for $3500 near Thayer....you could go to www.ozarkhorsetrader.com and read the ads or post a wanted to buy. Don't know if Douglas county has a regular newspaper...nearest big one I know of would be in West Plains,Howell county which is the West Plains Daily Quill...may be online,too. Lots of older trailers around this area and alot of dealers near any city. DEE

11. Mutti

Duh,right next to these ads was an ad for a mobile home co. that specializes in finding your used mobile home--single or double. Call Billy or Lisa Robers at 1-877-2775684. Might be of help. DEE

12. texastami

Thanks so much Mutti!! :) I sure will use that paper!! I knew about the Quill.. and the News-Journal... but I love those nickel ad papers!! :)

I did call about the trailer in Dora, and they are only about 15 miles from our property..... her nephew is a house mover and would move it $300.....

Man, I wish I had about $3,000 sitting around doing nothing right now... would get us there THIS NEXT SPRING!! :)

DH and I will talk more when he gets home!
    thanks again!!