Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have been blessed with a way out of poverty. A lot of you have read at one time or another about how I was disabled by an illness some time back and now live off of a social security check. Even though I am considered totally and permanently disabled, I think I have found a new opportunity.

This:

My dad went and got this thing and I believe this is what I've been praying about. I just finished pulling my first stump with it and I seem to be pretty good with it naturally. Tractors are not new to me but I have never operated a backhoe in my life until today. It seems to be a fine set-up. The drive train is guaranteed for 4 years so I wont have to repair anything myself until that period passes.

I also have not had a drivers license for seven years. I received a DUI right before I was diagnosed with cancer and haven't had the money to take all the classes I was supposed to do to get it back. Dad has offered to pay all of this so I can pull this tractor to jobs. I am having a pretty good day.

If any of you feel I'm worth praying for please do so. Without a drivers license, this backhoe wont do what it's supposed to do. I also feel I need to pay this off within 1.5 - 2 years. Dad wanted to retire for the second time in 2 years. If I can generate enough income to pay this thing off, he will still be able to do that. It was $18,500 and I get the feeling that he bought it just for me to do this with. I am still somewhat disabled but I CAN operate this machine for a living and get OFF of social security. This is something I have dreamed about.

·
Registered
762 Posts
great 4u..Im jealous..id love to have one of them and the price dont seem too bad.You deserve to have a good time and also make some dollars.Hope all goes well.Best of luck..and dont forget to thank dad.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Dahc said:
I may have been blessed with a way out of poverty. A lot of you have read at one time or another about how I was disabled by an illness some time back and now live off of a social security check. Even though I am considered totally and permanently disabled, I think I have found a new opportunity.

This:

My dad went and got this thing and I believe this is what I've been praying about. I just finished pulling my first stump with it and I seem to be pretty good with it naturally. Tractors are not new to me but I have never operated a backhoe in my life until today. It seems to be a fine set-up. The drive train is guaranteed for 4 years so I wont have to repair anything myself until that period passes.

I also have not had a drivers license for seven years. I received a DUI right before I was diagnosed with cancer and haven't had the money to take all the classes I was supposed to do to get it back. Dad has offered to pay all of this so I can pull this tractor to jobs. I am having a pretty good day.

If any of you feel I'm worth praying for please do so. Without a drivers license, this backhoe wont do what it's supposed to do. I also feel I need to pay this off within 1.5 - 2 years. Dad wanted to retire for the second time in 2 years. If I can generate enough income to pay this thing off, he will still be able to do that. It was $18,500 and I get the feeling that he bought it just for me to do this with. I am still somewhat disabled but I CAN operate this machine for a living and get OFF of social security. This is something I have dreamed about.
...................My personal view , Were I in your shoes , I would NOT compromise my SS status nor my income . Because , should you loose SS and your medical benefits , You WILL NOT BEABLE too afford health insurance , in fact you probably won't qualify , under ANY circumstances . Besides , You have not a clue what medical emergencies that will befall you down the Road . Should you loose your medical coverage , all medical bills will automatically become a Burden for your parents . I don't think I would chage my SS status . just my opinion , fordy

·
Unknown
148 Posts
Since I'm not very familiar with SS and disability payments I'll leave that to people like fordy. But if you want the best of both worlds why not charge a little less than going rate but only take cash jobs. We're not talking about staying 'under the table' forever just putting some cash in your pocket until you make sure it works for you and you can support yourself w/out SS if you decide to go that route.

As I know a few people who collect disability I can say that it isn't much and if you could get up to generating $4-5K/month consistently then it shouldn't be a problem to support yourself. After establish a reputation you should be able to clear even more.

It is exciting to read about you getting excited and I say go for it. If security isn't as important to you as earning your keep the best way you can then go for it. I know a few disabled people making some serious cash because they wouldn't accept the world's classification of their situation. Although I'm not disabled I made a radical decision (for me) ~8 years ago and have been blessed financially, in my work (I work from home now) and personally.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I agree with fordy and would add you'll need a dumptruck to go with that in order to be competitive in a fairly saturated market....add to that some insurance and a bond to protect your assests...and your clients.....

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
If you have been on SS disability and can work they will offer you the opportunity to keep paying for Medicare. They know you can't buy other ins and want to help you get back to work. Of course you are also able to earn several hundred dollars a month and keep your disability benefits for a while. They will give you all the info if you call. PQ

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BobK said:
I agree with fordy and would add you'll need a dumptruck to go with that in order to be competitive in a fairly saturated market....add to that some insurance and a bond to protect your assests...and your clients.....
No, don't need a dump truck or insurance for anything other than the tractor, flatbed trailer and truck which we have. There is plenty of sprinkler, footer, cistern and septic tank work that doesn't require me to haul away dirt and the market is far from saturated here. I have established contacts in the area markets from my previous work and I can operate under their licensing and therefore, their insurance. I charge $35 an hour, they charge $55 an hour and make $20 an hour just for allowing me coverage.

There are no "assets" to cover other than the tractor and an $18,000 home which can't be touched.

I appreciate everyones kind words, advice and good wishes. Not taking this opportunity in some fashion is out of the question. I have been waiting on this for over 5 years and I don't think I can let this go. I have someone I can talk to about the SS thing and can give me sound advice and at the same time, consider my position.

I really don't want to be on SS any longer. I don't receive treatment for cancer, I'm not on any medications other than a sleep aid and all I have is hospitalization insurance anyway through medicare. I had to cancel the other (part B) because I couldn't pay the $80 a month. I had to trade insurance for food and insulin for my wife. Aside from the $683 a month, there is really no reason to stay on the SS if I can make work for myself. I will listen to lots of counsel before making any concrete decisions that can't be reversed but this is my way out.

The truth is, about 5 months ago I just decided that I wasn't going to be disabled anymore. Since then, I have pushed myself a little each day. I'm not really that limited in the kinds of work I can do, just how long I can do them. I always loved working hard and always enjoyed a good 7 - 10 hour sweat. Those days may or may not be gone but I can still operate this tractor.

Some may think it's unwise or shortsighted to say things like "I'm not going to be disabled anymore" and while that may be true, I have a mighty God and I believe He has already responded to my prayers and really, this is an issue of faith and is not based on physical circumstances. Either way, we shall see. Thanks for your responses.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Dahc, best of luck with your endeavor and whatever direction you choose to go!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I wish you the best of luck and success with your opportunity, and I'll add you in my prayers as well. :)

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
Dahc said:
No, don't need a dump truck or insurance for anything other than the tractor, flatbed trailer and truck which we have. There is plenty of sprinkler, footer, cistern and septic tank work that doesn't require me to haul away dirt and the market is far from saturated here. I have established contacts in the area markets from my previous work and I can operate under their licensing and therefore, their insurance. I charge $35 an hour, they charge $55 an hour and make $20 an hour just for allowing me coverage.

There are no "assets" to cover other than the tractor and an $18,000 home which can't be touched.

I appreciate everyones kind words, advice and good wishes. Not taking this opportunity in some fashion is out of the question. I have been waiting on this for over 5 years and I don't think I can let this go. I have someone I can talk to about the SS thing and can give me sound advice and at the same time, consider my position.

I really don't want to be on SS any longer. I don't receive treatment for cancer, I'm not on any medications other than a sleep aid and all I have is hospitalization insurance anyway through medicare. I had to cancel the other (part B) because I couldn't pay the $80 a month. I had to trade insurance for food and insulin for my wife. Aside from the $683 a month, there is really no reason to stay on the SS if I can make work for myself. I will listen to lots of counsel before making any concrete decisions that can't be reversed but this is my way out.

The truth is, about 5 months ago I just decided that I wasn't going to be disabled anymore. Since then, I have pushed myself a little each day. I'm not really that limited in the kinds of work I can do, just how long I can do them. I always loved working hard and always enjoyed a good 7 - 10 hour sweat. Those days may or may not be gone but I can still operate this tractor.

Some may think it's unwise or shortsighted to say things like "I'm not going to be disabled anymore" and while that may be true, I have a mighty God and I believe He has already responded to my prayers and really, this is an issue of faith and is not based on physical circumstances. Either way, we shall see. Thanks for your responses.
go for it and charge the going rates!
my daughter is "disabled"... and even tho we made too much money for many years, she was qualified as being disabled and was "in the system".. thank heaven.
even tho she didn't receive any monies, she still got medicaid.
and when her pa and i divorced, she had the medical and then the little bit of monthly income.
she didn't get a lot/mth, because it was figured by my income.
the thing is, she was in the system.
now she's 21 and still in the system and her SSI check now, depends upon what she makes...and she has reached majority and living on her own (well, for now... long story, won't bore you).
so, once you're deemed disabled, even if you don't qualify for monthly stipends, you are still deemed disabled and if things go south, you won't have to start the process again, to verify that you're disabled.
just report your income, all will be well.
(i have horror stories about procrastinating on reporting the income.. ha!)

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Stumpy,

Your destiny calls.

RF

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dahc - where in Ga are you located at and how far out [mileage from your home range]will you work?

Lmnde

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lmnde said:
Dahc - where in Ga are you located at and how far out [mileage from your home range]will you work?

Lmnde
I am 60 miles SSE of Macon. At first, I will probably have to stick to work within a 60 mile radius of dodge county. I could go down into the Fl panhandle because my dad's corporation owns 2 RV's that are in that area. If I get work through His corporation, it will actually "force" me to do some work in Florida but I would prefer to stay in Georgia if at all possible, close to my wife. If a job were more than 60 miles away, it would have to be several days worth of work to make it worth the money and I would have to charge more than 35 an hour.

Once I get my license back (about 4 months), I will probably take any work anywhere in GA once lodging possibilities and fuel has been worked into the price. My main concern is clearing at least $30 an hour. 15 for me and 15 to go towards the principal of the loan on the tractor.

MMO4: Thank you! That was very nice of you to say! I give the credit for all of this to Jesus Christ. He stuck with me when all others wrote me off for dead (except my wife).

... and Thank You to everyone else who has given me your good wishes and prayers!

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
Be careful about earning any income while on SSI. There was a guy around here that was permanently disabled and on SSI. He was rehabing houses and doing construction work. Social Security Administration investigated and gathered sufficient evidence that landed him in prison for 3 years, with a $225,000 fine (all Social Security payments are legally cut off when someone goes to a State or Federal prison).

Be careful, whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Dahc - if you've ever read any biographies on how many wealthy people started with nothing, the one thing that is always there is the naysayers - good friends and family overly concerned with a possible failure.

I say, if you wish to keep that feeling you have today going - keep not only the dream but setting the realistic goals. After all, it sounds like you and your father have very strong work ethics and the best of intentions. If you are concerned about the gap between today and your success - remember honesty is best, get the answers you need from SSI and work with them.

I'll be pulling for you and sending inspirations thoughs your way.

Hugs,
Marlene

1 - 20 of 21 Posts