Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fiber Arts Ladies,

I am just learning how to knit and have been lurking in this forum a lot lately. Mostly I have been up rummaging through the links and looking at patterns.

Like almost everyone else, I really don't NEED another addiction, but it is clearly too late now. Hopefully there is room for yet another new knitter here? My DH is already offering to get me some fiber goats, if I want them...Hmm.

Ruby Jane had posted a link to a pair of 2 needle mittens, and I just finished them this morning. This is only the 2nd project that I have done and I was so excited that I wanted to share with Somebody. I figured you all would be likely to understand my enthusiasm.:p

I just used cheap Red Heart grey yarn, from WM. I was looking at some nice stuff in a craft store, Yikes! I think I need more practice before I can justify the cost.

I am sure I will have questions for you all. I long to be able to make thick warm fuzzy wool socks someday....

Thanks for reading.

~Wendy

p.s. yep, that's me. DS14 is an okay photographer.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Welcome, there's several Missouri people here. Looks like you have gotten off to a great start and doing very well. The way I see it, you are making clothing as well as doing something enjoyable. How could that be wrong? Knitting is something you can do your whole life, plus pass it on. Thanks for the picture!

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Welcome to "The Fold" Wendy! Of course we have plenty of room here for one more.

By the looks of it you are a natural knitter if those mittens are your second project. Congratulations!

May I suggest you learn to spin if you find the cost of store bought yarn to be high. I started spinning eons ago and went to a real yarn store about a year ago. Man talk about sticker shock :eek: Spinning is the way to go but that's a whole other addiction.

Anyway, welcome and feel free to ask questions and post as often as you like.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what was your first project?

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marchwind,

My first project was a simple scarf in the continental stitch. I am a lefty and I have tried to learn several times to knit, always from rightys. Then dragonchick turned me on to knittinghelp.com, and I saw the German style. That site has sure helped me!

I decided about halfway through that scarf that I don't like knitting long and boring scarves. The next one I try will have to have cables or braids (or ?) in order not to put me straight to sleep.

I know a few people who raise sheep and spin yarn. Even some folks who make spinning wheels...Strangely, none of them knit.(!?) My mom is talking about getting into rabbits. My DH is realy serious about the goats too. It just seemed to me that Somebody needed to learn.

Right now my problem is finding patterns for things that I have needles for. I wish I had a giant cup of all the needles....single points, double points, round needles, etc. It is about 45 miles to the nearest Hobby Lobby...and WM is not much help. I fashioned my own stitch holders out of wire because they dont even carry them.

I think I am going to try a 2 needle slipper next. This time double-knitting. A lot of handknitted slippers are just too flimsy, IMO. I may even do some with rubber on the bottom. I have a pair of rubberboots that are ruined, but the chimneys on them seem like a good weight to sew on slippers. What do you think of that idea?

Know any good patterns for a 2 needle slipper? I am thinking of this one, (the green ones).

http://www.knitlist.com/97gift/desertboots.htm

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Those are cute boots Wendy! A thought occurred to me, well several thoughts but here are a few right now. You can make your own needles from wooden dowels and a pencil sharpener, sand paper, and a few beads or knobs. Do you have a needle gauge? If you do you can pretty easily make several sizes of needles both single and double pointed needles.

Next you may want to join Ravelry at Ravelry.com. Get on the waiting list and you should be in there in a few days. Once you get in there let us know and a bunch of us will "friend" you and if you need help there feel free to ask me for help navigating. It is a huge and awesome site for knitters,crocheters, spinners, and weavers, I'm sure I'm leaving someone out. But you will have access to thousands of free patterns, designers of projects and yarns and tons of people to help you out and lots of forums for every size and shape of person you could possibly imagine.

Also see if there is a free cycle in your area you can get loads of stuff from there too, Goodwill is another good source of stuff.

·
sweet_mae
820 Posts
Welcome aboard:) Those mittens look great. I am almost done with my first pair of mittens. I am going to try socks next. Knitting is an addiction alright.
Keep knitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts