A Morbid Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChickenFryChato, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ChickenFryChato

ChickenFryChato Lone Star State of Mind

I LOVE where I live. I love my land, my trees, etc. I sort of jokingly but also serious in a way told my wife that when I died, I'd like to be buried somewhere on my land. I told her that I would pick out a spot and everything, so that all she would have to do is drop me in and cover me up. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive. I currently have 5 acres of land, and live outside the city limits. She said that the law would not allow my burial there (she's just assuming I'm assuming). She said that my soul will be gone, so she will choose where to dump my shell, and that the funeral is for her, not for me. I of course 100% agree with the comment. Nonetheless, I can't help but think about being buried on my own land. Do any of you share my thoughts on the matter, and if, do any of you know what the law says in your state (or mine) about burials on private property outside the city limits?

2. XLT

XLT Well-Known Member

I believe that in Texas you can be buried on your own land. The time frame tightens up a little bit, I think you're bod has to be in the ground within like 24-36 hours.

When I was about 13-14, my dad built a coffin for a man which doubled as an entertainment center. He was a rancher out near Three Rivers. He wanted to be buried on his land as well, but figured he might as well get some use out of the thing beforehand. BTW, this is relatively recent history, I will be 29 this month.

Don't think it's morbid at all, but don't get too attached to that body, it won't last long for even the youngest of us. [​IMG]

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have always thought that the law cannot interfere with a family burial plot on land. I'm sure there are numerous websites out there that can give you this information. If you were really *that* interested, you might check with your county department of health to locate the appropriate statutes and or county laws governing this matter.

As for me. I could care less. I'll be dead. Funerals, burials, and the like are to make the living feel better. If she was smart she whould have kissed you on the forehead and said "Honey whatever you want, I'll do it". Then you wouldn't have to deal with the concern. If it were my choice, and I really cared, I'd opt for a burial at sea.

donsgal

4. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

Look on your state's website for the regs. We're going for cremation and I get my ashes dumped into Blue Springs on the Current. I forgot where he wanted his. Better ask again ;-) So, if you see a bearded guy who looks a lot like Daniel Boone dumping a load of ashes there you'll know I'm gone. :angel:

Mary

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Well if not buried at least there are not much laws concerning spreading ones ashes on the place :) Same thing and much cheaper in the end.
    My very good friend a veterinarian died of a massive heart attack a few months ago and his farm is 2 miles from me and he had his ashes spread on his farm what a touching thing that was. And I am going to be cremated myself no biggy. once dead,,, dead is dead. and whether a person goes by the way of food for the ants and then becomes dust whats the diff if a person is turned into dust rather quickly heck I won't feel a thing at that time anyways :rolleyes:

6. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I think it is possible. I once knew the regulations for our part of Texas, but that was almost 30 years ago and things may have changed.

It would be best to check with your state - perhaps even your county on this.

We had to do this when we did not want a family member embalmed. The funeral director was so taken aback and stated, honestly, he didn't know the regulation. No one had asked him that before. No reflection on the funeral director - he was really a very nice person - just didn't know.

There is a time limit for burial and at the time we checked, the person had to have not died from a communicable disease - like aids.

Also, I think the plot had to be a certain distance from another's property.

AS I said, things have changed. AT that time, you could put in your own septic system and drill a well anywhere, anytime.

7. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

My cousin, when making her will before going overseas for a few years - stipulated that should she die - she wanted to be creamated...and have her ashes split between her two sisters' compost heaps...so that she could nourish their familes...

I thought that was sweet...and a little "eeew"...all at the same time.

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres A lady down this way her Husband and Daughter are buired in her fromt yard. So its legal. Just double check the rules before hand.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We had our attorney research this. Our farm is not far enough outside of the city limits for us to put in a family plot.

We have burial insurance to cover the funeral, but I've decided I don't care where they put me.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

why don't you get your body cremated after death and have a small plane pilot do a flyover your land to distribute the ashes there, or anywhere you designate that it's legal to do so. As part of your will dealings with your attorney, I'd think you can ask to do what you want with your remains (that is legal, of course).

11. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I already showed the grandkids where to scatter my ashes when the time comes. :)

12. rebelfarmer

rebelfarmer Well-Known Member

i dont think it is morbid. i live it oklahoma and i will be buried on my family land it next to my place. it is out in the country.i think we had to go to county comm.to get ok for use to be buried their.

13. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I told my husband when i die I want to be creamated and my ashed scattered all in the garden and in the pastures that is where Im the happiest thats where I want to be. Well my shell anyways. My soul will be in heaven with Jesus

14. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

I've told my DH that I would like to be cremated and buried on our property. I left the details up to him. Well actually I told him he could dump the ashes in the manure pile but if he really prefers somewhere else is fine too. ;)

15. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

In Wisconsin, it is possible to be buried on your own land. A friend was buried on the family farm just this past fall, and some other friends buried a child on their place a few years ago. Took a little looking to figure it out, but now we have some friends who can tell us what to do when we need to know.

16. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

In Iowa if you ever sell the property any burial sites have to be disclosed, it may make the place harder for heirs to sell as buyers may find a burial spot not to thier liking, or maybe thats a good thing to keep the place from sold. I personally like the spred the ashes bit as thats what dw and i have planned

17. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I plan on being buried on my land in S.Al,my great grandparents bought a huge family plot in Mass.,but I talked it over with my mother and told her I really prefer to be buried in America,she told me it was my body and I could do what I wanted with it(gee,she did'nt have that attitude when I was 16..).She told me she will have a headstone in the family plot,but wants me to have her cremated and spread in Hawaii,Panama,and her local golf course(money for airfare,etc already in will.)

18. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I don't want to waste the space of a burial. Burn me up and put me on the garden. That is where I want to be most of the time anyway...

19. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I just want my ashes to be thrown to the wind on my land. ALthough I do like the Viking flaming boat funeral(I have a pond...).

Of course if it's against the law to spread ashes, one could always "trip" while carrying the loved ones ashes from the car to the house...

My neighbor once gave me a ride when my car pooped out at the bus stop. SHe asked if I knew if Charles died(another neighbor), I said no, she said he's in the back seat...I turn around, sure enough an urn riding back there. ;0)

20. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

In KY. I believe you could be buried on your own place, but the kicker here is that "Once a Cemetary, Forever a Cemetary"

It Will REALLY knock down the land value here, plus, a certain size has to be set aside for the cemetary and what you've done is basically removed the use of part of your ground for following generations.

I'll get buried in a pre-existing cemetary. I've got lots of land, but my take is, why clutter it up with a basically worthless cemetary that my descendants will have to plow around and take care of in coming years?

I don't want to burden my land or my children with working around my grave...JMHO