A Little worried about my best Nanny

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rosarybeads, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I am a bit worried... She had her goats two days ago now, and my husband saw the placenta passed on the ground the night of the birthing. But at the same time she had a cord left hanging.... I tugged at it gently today and it immediately broke off, and it smelled slightly foul, not real bad, but slightly, where it was still "fleshy" closest to her. She seems to be doing fine otherwise, and her babies are doing great, so is she. Any ideas of what this could be? I would rather not treat unless I am knowing what I am treating for.... Should I just keep a close eye on her and give her time?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

about the best you can do is watch her extremely closely. pet her and touch her all over to see if she has any sore spots, and see if rubbing her belly hurts her. if you notice anything, call a vet immediately. is she eating? it could possibly be part of the placenta.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

If you have some oxytocin on hand shoot her up with it. If she has retained fragments they will pass, if she does not it won't bother her in the least.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A goat has two compartments (horns) to her uterus. With two kids she can have one placenta or two, three kids can have one placenta or usually two, 4 kids usually always have two placentas, two kids in each horn.

So it's pretty likely that you have a retained placenta, if the cervic is closed you will need to give her 2cc IM of lutelyse to get the cervic back open, and then give oxytocin. Douche the uterus with antibiotic when the cervic is open.

At the very least you need to put her on antibiotics for uterine infection. Take her temperature daily for awhile. Has she been discharging the dark brown lochia noramlly? Does with little to no discharge and with this foul smell, a piece of cord that breaks off when tugging instead of coming down the vagina, usually means a placenta trapped behind a closed cervic. Time for a vet. Vicki