A little excitement during the night...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HoosierDeb, Mar 22, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I was rudely awakened around 3:30 by Sebastian doing his watchdog imitation. I say imitation because a creature, human or not, is more at risk of drowing in slobber and being suffocated by hair than being bitten by him.. but he does make a lot of noise. Anyway... I looked out all of the windows and couldn't see what his problelm was.. didn't hear anything either so went back to bed. He came back and lay down for a bit and then, just as I fell off to sleep he did it again... it's not good for a person to wake up like that!!!! He was at the front door when I got there and he was going ballistic. I could see a shadow at the top of the door... my door has 3 square windows running vertically and the top window is 10 inches or so below the top of the door... at first Ithought it was a person's head but then I wondered what Shaquiel O'Neil was doing at my house.. he's the only person I know that is that tall... you step down from the doorway to the stoop so a person standing there and having his head as high as this shadow was would have had to be very, very tall. I don't turn on the lights when I get up to explore noises.. number 1... turning the lights on makes it impossible to see outside through the windows and number 2... if it's a somebody rather than a something they might be looking back and I'd rather they not be able to see me any better than I can see them. I figured that it wasn't Shaq out there so I turned on the porch light and discoverd a medium sized raccoon, clinging to the outside of my inner door, between it and the storm door!!! The dog jumps up on the storm door when he wants in and the sliding lower section of glass had the clips broken that fit in the track to keep it in place so it tips in at the top and the varmit had, for some reason and somehow,climbed up that glass and into the gap and up to the top of my door. By this time my son was awake and wanted to know what was going on. He got a metal stake that is supposed to be a mounting rod for my electric fence charger and shoved in the gap under the door to push the outer door open.. it doesn't latch.. yes, I need to do some door work.... but the bugger wasn't leaving. I finally opened the inner door enough to push it open more with a broom handle but instead of going out the gap he stuck a little hand/paw in the top of the door and tried to get in... finally got the door closed again and just decided to let him hang there until morning if he wanted to.. figured he wouldn't like being hung out there in daylight and he could get back the way ha came if he thought about it. Well, Sebastian didn't think it was such a good idea and kept barking. Son came back out of his room and finally found the telescoping barbeque fork for roasting hot dogs and pushed it under the door and was able to convince the beast to leave. Whew...
    So, today I'll be trotting off to TSC to buy a raccoon trap. I"ve lost innumerable chickens to the nasty things.. he was probably coming to find out when the new arrivals were expected so he could invite his buddies. Muscovey ducks arrive this weekend but I didn't tell him that and he'll have a nasty surprise if he avoids the trap and tries to break in... the new duck pen will have 2 or 3 rows of electric fence attached to it do zap his furry butt good if he tries.

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Give that big ol doggy a hug for me!!! I hope you catch that bandit!!!

3. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Hey, Great dog
    Give that dog a treat. There are many dogs that would just sleep.

Mike

4. HoosierDeb

Yeah, for 150 pounds of hair and slobber, he's okay.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Wish I had some good dogs like this. My four dogs bark if a squirrel farts in the next county but they have been studiously ignoring the raccoon we have in our attic. This raccoon is so audacious, he sits in the attic window and suns himself and watches us work in the yard. I swear he thumbs his nose at us. :haha: we've set a trap to no avail. Can I borrow your dog?

7. HoosierDeb

Well, Bas made a lot of noise and wanted me to open the door, but I suspect that it was so his new friend could come in and play rather than to chase him away. He greets everyone, 2-legged or 4-legged, with a slobbery grin and a wagging tail. Even aggressive males with their hackles up and their teeth bared are recipients of his sunny personality.. I'm sure he just wondered why Mom wouldn't let his new playmate in. He follows my birds around when they're loose, even serving as a perch when one lands on him, he and the cat eat together. He's noisy at times and not all of them for good reason. He barks at noises, he barks at me, just for fun or when he thinks its time for me to go to bed. Really though, as aggravated as I get at him (like when he acts like he wants to go out and then, when I get the door open, just stands out of reach and barks at me, wagging his tail the whole time) you couldn't ask for a better family dog. If anyone asks me to recommend a dog it would be a Newfoundland. You just can't be obsessive about having a clean house and you have to let them be a part of the family. He'd be much more comfortable lots of times laying out on the stoop, watching traffic on the highway, which is a great pastime of his, but he can't stand being alone very long.

8. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

Sounds Exactly like the black lad/ something mix we have. he too barks to go out then just stands there lookin dumb when you get the door open. He loves to be out, but hates going out by himself without one of the other dogs for company. When we went to see property in mo a ten hour road trip from where we live, he just sat in the back seat the whole trip, the jack russels jumping all over him, just no problem. We cut him loose when we got there, way in the boondies, once more no prob, stayed right with us.

He did however decide to bark for an hour yesterday, at a box that had been moved from another room, and into the living room.
    My favorite thing is when he decides he wants the chair YOUR sitting in, his solution to the problem on how to vacate the chair?

He climbs slowly into your lap, hes not agile at all. Then he just sits on you drooling, patiently waiting for you to move. 5 minutes later mission accomplished, and hes sleeping soundly while your lookin around for another place to sit.

Ok, sure everyones read this, i think the book was where the red fern grows?? not totally sure, read when I was like 12, but it said that raccons like shiny things, and the best way to cath them was to dig a shallow hole, put a grid on top, and then toss something shiny in the whole that they couldnt pick up and still get their hands outa the grid??

Is that true?? I've always wondered if that whould work,??
    sorry for length of post. Funny story though with shaq haha

9. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

I solved the chair problem...I ran hubby off so now my mutt has an over-sized
    recliner all his own!

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

My Sebastian is 100 lbs of hair and slobber. He's a lab x german shepherd goofball with folds of skin around his neck like a sharpei. He'll bark as thought he's going to tear a coon to bits but if one ever looked over its shoulder and said BOO! Sebastian would back up 10' and quiver. I wouldn't allow my children to sass but he talks back terribly and gets away with it because I can't figure out how to make him stop. He's my oldest daughter's dog. She lives away so she calls when she knows I'm not home to leave messages for him. She calls out his name a few times to get his attention and he runs to the phone to howl when she talks to him. We play it for him when we want amusement. We're simple folks....obviously!

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

The other day I was taking the younger dog (we have two border collies, one is older, one is younger) to be tied up for the night. When we walked by the garage, which was closed except for a gap about 5 inches high or so for the cat, she started whining and wimpering. She was trying her darndest to squeeze under there and the other dog came over there doing the same. So I ran around throught the house and opened the garage door from the inside. The dogs shot in as fast as they could, and ripped over to a little room in the garage, where they proceeded to knock everything over, whimpering barking, ect. Finally I could see Missy (the older one) doing her "death shake". She then came trotting out with a big old possom, crunching the poor thing all the way (blech).

This after she had killed another possum about 2 weeks earlier, out in the field, they went nuts over that one too. ... And we killed on that was actively in the aviary with the ducks before that. What is up with the possums (and skunks) this year anyway?

12. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

One morning in late Feb. my 90lbs part Akita was out back doing his morning thing when out of one of the wood piles left from this winters ice storm comes something that tackles him in mid squat. Since it was still pretty dark I couldn’t see what it was, but they were sure going at it. So I grabbed a shovel I had on the back porch and headed out there. By the time I got to where they were fighting my dog had backed off the unknown critter. It tried to get up, but then fell over pretty much dead. I saw it was a brown raccoon. I was pretty sure the dog had killed it. But a couple of blows from my shovel made sure. Couldn’t find any bite marks on my dog, but I called the vet just to be on the safe side. He said since the shots were up to date just to keep an eye on my dog for a few days. He also told me to report it to a state conservation officer. So I called the CO who asked if it was foaming at the mouth. I said I didn’t see any. So he said that it might have had a nest in the wood pile, and that if we heard any babies to call him back and he would send out a raccoon rescue guy. We never heard any babies and didn’t see any signs of a nest when we moved the brush out to the burn pile earlier this week. So was the birth of the legend of ‘Morgan The Raccoon Killer’. He also seems to have developed a taste for all the mice and moles we kicked up moving all the wood piles around the place this week. He must have ate 5 or 6 both yesterday and the day before. He got pretty good at waiting and watching while we were moving all those branches. Then when one would jump out he would have a little snack. Not much of a challenge compared to that raccoon, but a lot tastier I would imagine.

Duke

13. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I just bought the "Havaheart" Racoon trap (Model 1089) at Home Depot for $39.00 It was more expensive at Tractor Supply. They work well.

Caught the opossum that had been robbing the eggs and delivered him to a creek bank 4 miles away in the deep woods. If he comes back, he goes to be with Jesus.

14. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My good old dog Sheba (of blessed memory) one summer morning in Germany when the sun rose at 5 am over the crest of a hill STARTED BARKING AT THE SUN!

15. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I have a big 'ol slobbery dog named Sabastian too! After reading you post it's like they are identical twins....'cept my Sabastian is a 150 pound St. Bernard. He sounds tough but has no toughness in him at all...unless he is protecting one of my kids. We can't even yell at them without him getting upset. Anyway, the funniest thing that has scared him is a snowman my kids made one year. When he goes outside, he goes around to the other side of the house where he does his business and gets a drink out of the stream. Well, he started running around the corner as usual and I swear he jumped 4 feet into the air, backed up as fast as he could while barking hystericaly! He wouldn't come back in the house and he wouldn't stop barking at the stupid thing! We had to destroy the snowman because after that, he wouldn't go to the bathroom when you let him out. He would just sit there and bark at the stupid thing!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

She must not be too bright, she was jealous! JK, LOL

17. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

My dogs like to sleep in my computer chair. They bark at a lot of things, including ME when I come home!

18. HoosierDeb

Not too long after I got my Sebastian (he was already 2) I took him on a long lead out to the field where we had a large garden plot plowed up. Across that field to the north is a neighbor with horses enclosed in electric fence. Not realizing that Bas was interested in those "big dogs" I wasn't holding real tight to the rope (and, in reality, even if I was it wouldn't have mattered.. I couldn't have stopped him) and all of a sudden it was yanked out of my hands and he was flying across the field toward the neighbor's. I was screaming at him to come back and doing an imitation of running (I had had surgery a month before) and wondering how much damage he was going to do that I couldn't afford to pay for. All of a sudden he yelped and then I had this huge, bug-eyed beast running even faster right at me!!! He kept looking over his shoulder as if some monster was chasing him, ran past me toward the house. Finally, realizing that nothing was chasing him and I was there to save him, he stopped and came back to me and then practically dragged me out of the field and back into the yard. I was laughing so hard I could hardly stand up. That electric fence had taught him more than I would ever have been able to. When I took him to a friend's house a couple of weeks later, he took one look at her horses and sat down behind me and kept an eye on the monsters but didn't try to go visit. I'm sure he thinks the horses were the ones who "bit" him.