A little auto glass help please.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Dec 17, 2004.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

The story........

Car was vandalized windows broken (2 .....driverside back and back vent), car is a 94 Buick LeSabre. Called for a quote on replacement, the passenger window was no surprise $145 (power window) but the vent knocked me off my chair, $538.

Does anyone know it this is on the level? I won't be claiming on insurance because it's below deductable ($1000). Now this window is what, maybe 12"X7"?
    The woman I talked to said it's the most expensive piece of glass on the car, because it doesn't open.

Any ideas?

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

why not have a piece of plexiglass cut to size and glue it in.

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Call another company. Sounds like you are getting ripped. Plexiglass will look like crap; a regular glass co. might be able to make a piece of tempered glass for you if you are handy enough to put it in.

4. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I'd try a salvage yard or start asking around... a 94 is hardly new, so the chances of salvage parts being available is good. Its also a small window... meaning you could easily have it shipped from anywhere. Replacing auto glass is something lots of folks do "under the table"... here, they'll even come to you to do it. If you can find someone to do it under the table, they'll probably know where to get the windows.

Most expensive because it does not open?

cheers,

5. CraftyDiva

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking it's only got a gasket around the glass, it can't be that hard to put in, so it's not the labor, and the window that size couldn't cost that much on it own.

I will be checking other places as they open. This was one of those come to you and do it. No charge for road trip, so they say. I guess they make the difference in the glass.

6. CraftyDiva

Well....... called another auto glass place. Total..... door and vent $140.......$100 for the door window $40 for the vent (used glass). Heading out to get it done, they're calling for snow tonight.

Thanks for all your help. :)

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

When something like this happens to me (getting an outrageous quote and then finding what I want for significantly less), I wonder if I should call the price-gougers back and tell them that I know they are rip-off artists and that I'll also let all my friends know, or if I should just let sleeping skunks -- er, DOGS -- lie.

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Glad you found somewhat reasonable price. Here is link to check out many salvage yards at once. www.car-part.com Highest prices are given first down to cheapest, then yards that you have to contact to get a quote. You still have to contact all yard to find shipping cost and confirm price and finally to actually order the piece. The price range on parts is amazing. All way from "hey its 1970 again" to "cheaper at AutoZone" I bought a carb for my pickup couple years ago in pristine condition (no kit necessary) from junkyard in Colorado using this service. Carbs are getting hard to find used in good condition and price beat even ebay.

Shipping small glass should be no problem. Windshields are another story. Right now I am searching for windshield for my Festiva as crack is right at eye level and annoying as all get out. Local yards either dont have one or dont deal in used glass for liability reasons. Junk Festivas also arent exactly plentiful around here but hoping to find one with good windshield and a 5 spd to donate parts to mine.

9. mountain granny

mountain granny Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got that second estimate. That price sounds much more reasonable. Sorry to hear about the vandalism.

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Chances are the 1st shop gave you a quote on the wrong piece of glass. $538 comes out about right depending on labor rate for the back window. The side light would be about $100-120 with new glass.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sounds like I'm probably too late, but for future reference.

Glass is covered under comprehensive insurance, not collision.

Most policies have a very small deductable for comprehensive coverage. For example, my collision deductable is 1000.00, but my comprehensive deductable is 50.00.

For me, comprehensive insurance is the best thing! I covers deer hits, glass, trees falling on the rig and what not and is dang cheap.

12. CraftyDiva

I'm pretty sure the woman read it wrong, it probably read more like $53.80.

As it turned out the quote over the phone from the second glass place was wrong, I told him back driverside window and vent. He tought I meant it as it reads. But it was the back driver's side window and passenger side back vent. They didn't have the vent for that side, so had to hit supplier for it. The grand total came to $120 instead of the $140 he quoted. Senior discount? Old lady price? Don't know......don't care. I told him it was wrong when he rang it up, he told me, "We could charge more if it will make you feel better." :haha: I declined his kind offer and paid the bill.

Thanks again everyone for your input. :)

13. CraftyDiva

When the car had it's 10th birthday, I dropped comprehensive insurance,and collision. Only have liabilty and uninsured driver now. But thanks for the future information.

14. bare

bare Head Muderator

You might look into reinstating just the comprehensive, I have some rigs with only liability and comprehensive. Looking at one example, the additional comprehensive only adds 14.00 every six months with a 50.00 deductable.