A lie on my screen

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Mar 22, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    At top, in the google ad section, it reads: "Claim Government land, 320 acres per person still available in 12 states." 4G05

We all know this is bogus, why does google support such a lie? Then they place it here; it all leads to you purchaseing a $22.50 book from them, nothing more. This should not be allowed due to the nature of the misleading statements.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that ad, too, and you are right. It's totally bogus, all they are trying to do is sell a book. Playing on people's wishful thinking.

Kathleen

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Google supports 'such a lie' because they are paid to do so by the people selling the book. I think the company is charged every time somebody clicks through the advertisement.

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Strangely enough - if you want to stop seeing the lie, the best way is for everyone to go look at the website advertising the book. The ad costs will crush them, and they'll quit advertising that way. :)

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Would that be an ... *avatar* you've got there Chuck. Does this mean anything...?

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I like using Firefox with Adblock. I never see any ads or unecessary graphics anymore.

7. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, Google runs thousands and thousands of text ads every day. They can't possibly be expected to research every single one of them and know which are good companies and which are bogus. They are providing a means of speech on a very large scale, just like a manufacturer of microphones or paper. They shouldn't responsible for what people say through that medium.

What gets me PO'ed about Google is the fact that they cooperate with the Chinese government to develop filters that restrict certain online political content from the Chinese people. When they started doing that last year I lost all of my love for Google. Their officers and board of directors should apologize to the people of China and resign.

It remains a great embarrassment to me as an American that our government trades and cooperates with these tyrants.

-Jack

8. southerngurl

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Does HT get a cut every time someone clicks those ads at the top of the page?

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

''Let The Buyer Beware''!

11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes.

I turned on avatars recently. Feel free to get one for yourself by going to your profile and setting one up.

12. southerngurl