A.I. questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Goats' started by suzyhomemaker09, Sep 30, 2004.

1. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Ok... we are so new to this it's s shame.. 1st goat.. bought her in milk .. no idea when her heat cycle is or anything.. trying to figure it out. How difficult is doing the A.I. ?..are there special procedures for keeping the straws?..

Any input would be helpful.

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, yes :) You really either have to attend a clinic or have someone who knows how to do it train you. I know Rebekah said that she learned how from a brochure, but she is a lot smarter than me! I had to actually see it <g>

A.I. in itself isn't all that difficult. But it is a big outlay in expense, and I can't really see it worth it for just one goat. You're better off finding a breeder in your state with a great buck and hauling her over.

About the cheapest semen tank you can buy new is $450 -- sometimes you can find used ones for less. Then you have the expense of keeping it filled with liquid nitrogen. You only have a matter of seconds to get your straw out of the tank and into your thaw jar.

For me it hasn't been the actual insemination process that was that hard -- it was learning how to get the straw out (I was scared of the liquid nitrogen, lol) thawed, and loaded into the gun properly.

That said, I just A.I'd two doelings last night, so I have my fingers crossed!!!

BTW-- here is a great informative AI page: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pazzani/4H/AI.html

Tracy

3. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

And odd as it sounds, you really almost have to have a buck around to do A.I., so you can identify does in heat and inseminate at the correct time. Timing is critical. If you can't tell when the doe is cycling, you're not going to get a conception using A.I.

A.I. in goats is really not about convenience, but rather having access to other, hopefully better, bloodlines that are not available locally.