A.I. question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Farmer Willy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

For you professional cattle folks, how many straws of semen are used to A.I. 1 animal? 1? 5? 20?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Usually 1, but I have known of straws being split to breed two cows. It's risky, because you're halving an already small amount of semen, but if you're sure of ovulation time and know what you're doing it'll work.

3. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Is this a trick question?(LOL) Not being a professional I'd say the number it would take depends on whether the cow settles on the first try. If she does that would mean one straw.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Using anymore than 1 straw per service would be a waste of money, unless you wanted twice the amount of semen. Usually what is done if anymore than 1 are used, is 2, 24 hours apart. In otherwords 1 at 9am on a monday, the 2nd at 9 am on tuesday (next day). Some also do breed if they do it themselves, morning then evening to increase the conception rate (CR). However when you start getting into some of these bulls, you could easily spend $100 if you did an am/pm breeding, or a 24 hour breeding. Then again, you get a heifer out of that bull, and the heifer is from a good cow family, your $100 is well worth it.

I did try the 24 hour trick, didn't work with this one heifer, 3cc of GNRH did, 2cc wasn't enough.

Jeff

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We've used two straws on hard breeders, but only rarely.

The guy who was doing our AIing before I took over this past November, would split straws on a regular basis for us because we requested it. Our conception rate was no different than with me using one straw per cow. We actually had four heifer calves born to only two straws this past March/April. Two were born dead but all four cows took. We usually split straws with the expensive bulls.

You have to be really skilled to do it properly.
    Generally 1 straw per heat cycle though.

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the answers, and no, I wasn't trying to ask a trick question. Me and the wife were looking to start our small herd on our small place with an angus/dexter cross. Keeping a herd sire won't be an option for a small operation like we envision. The high cost and the rarity for the pure dexters prices us out. Quite a few good angus farms in the area though. Tasty to.

7. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We use one straw per service. If she does not settle after second service, off she goes, unless there is some outstanding situation occurs.

8. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

I' m new to cattle myself building a small dairy herd. The multiple choice question brought back my high school days(and a chuckle) knowing I didn't study enough.. Good luck to ya's. Jersey beef, we have found to be very tasty.

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I never thought of using more than one straw, or breeding her more than once when she was in heat. Good information guys.

10. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Some cows have a longer or shorter window than the average and there's the question of not knowing how long before you first saw her first standing that she has been in standing heat. For those reasons, if I don't get her with the first service, I would probably go with 2 breedings at different times the next cycle. I understand the high cost of dexter and those mini jerseys. I would have to be breeding 2 cows at the same time to consider splitting a straw.

11. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to be breeding two cows to split a straw. Doesn't work any other way that I know of.
    Our cows naturally come into synch. I bred three heifers the other day and we had two cows standing tonight. 3 weeks ago it was three cows (two the ones today) and two heifers (the two that recycled plus another).
    No hormones to bring them into this, just the way our ehrd is.
    Lucky us!