A.I. Purchasing Question?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

It is my understanding that if you want to order overrun semen(what is left over after popular Boars have sold out) for a given collection day, that you can specify and be gauranteed it will be from one breed, but not necessarily from any one Boar.
    But what if I want to avoid Boars that carry the Stress Gene? Is there any way to order overrun semen and be gauranteed of getting a stress negative Boar? :shrug:

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I don't think so. But last time I ordered breed specific from Top Cut, they were very careful in making sure I didn't get the boar I really didn't like. Talk to them and see. Sometimes they will work with you.

3. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

Just curious but how much does AI cost?

4. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

often you can breed off season, and take advantage of specials from the stud houses.... and be boar specific, check showpig.com and see who has specials from time to time. Stress in the big four is now almost gone as a boars can't be registered without being bled.... polands and spots will often have stress.

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

50 to 300 bucks it looks like -- cheeper than feeding a boar all year!

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

When we bred our gilt is was $150 for the semen and shipping. We had a very specific boar we wanted too. A little pricey to use A.I. often but we think it was well worth it to use quality genetics to expand our breeding stock from within our own herd.

Heather

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

At PSS, stress positives are called "exotics," or they used to be. I am out of the loop on this by a few years. You will not get the high dollar semen anyway; they sell out by noon. You will get some good deals in the mid range price. Better to get a mid-range stud of choice imo, unless you are breeding specifically for show then you don't run over run anyway. I got the overrun when I AI but I chose the breed- York- so avoided the stress gene and I got two studs for my two gilts, both of which I was very happy with.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Tango, even the exotics can come positive or negative or carrier. We use over run on 98% of our showpig momma's. There is one boar this year I am ordering from McCoys and one I am picking up about 3 hours away. Price is still right, $50/dose. We don't often pay more than $50/dose. I am glad to see the neg hogs coming back in.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't remember anything but the exotics being stress carriers but knew not all were, my memory isn't always great though. I guess stress carriers took over every breed for a while???

10. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

Up North, I used to work at Prairie State Semen Supply and you can purchase overrun semen after 2:00 p.m CST at a very big savings. Several "excellant " boars of all breeds are priced at $35.00/dose with a minimum order of 2 doses. You can ask for a list of what boars are still available and what their stress status is, then choose what you want. All shipping costs are the same, no matter what boar that you choose. If you should call them, (1-800-282-0428) ask to speak to Brandon Ogle or Matt Rincker as they know all of the boars and what they have to offer. :) Good Luck!
    The Pork Stork

11. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the best time to buy a boar is now!!!! With fairs closing, Show boars will be on the market and cheap.... even the winners, Often in a breed, one or two hog lines will sire 50-70% of the hogs shown. These breeders A.I. and intended to sell the show boars. Yesterday at the Tennesee state fair, I stood next to a young lady who sold two super york boars, by a top national sire for 200 dollars each .....after she shows them one more time. An own son of a grand champion, out of a super sow line is often the same price as one good A.I., and he won't eat anymore than the teaser would. Then after breeding sell him or give him away.

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

who did the two new guys replace? Brent? Or Brandon?

13. CountryMamaof5

How difficult is it to AI? I have a boar thats still young enough to castrate. If you AI, is it a sure thing or can you try and the pig not get pregnant?

14. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

First, Misty, Brent has resigned and he was replaced as a salesman. Then Jon hired a second person to work in the lab. Brandon and Matt are still there. I don't know about Byron, accounts manager.
    Second, CountryMaMaof5, A.I. is not a sure thing anymore than using a boar is a sure thing. Boars probably have a higher conception rate than the use of A.I. The keys to sucess in the use of A.I. are identifying the proper time in the females estrus cycle to inseminate, tecnique, and purchasing quality semen from reputable semen companies. Since I used to work at Prairie State Semen Supply, I can vouch for the quality of what they sell. Two doses of extended semen will produce just as many pigs as a boar can through natural mating, but you will have the opportunity to use a higher quality boar than what most individuals could afford to own.
    Since I left Prairie State, I have been working on my own helping clients learn how to A.I., train their boar ('s) to be collected, extend the semen, and inseminate the females. The average conception rate has been 92% with litter size averaging 9 born live which includes several breeds and crosses. Now you know why I call myself "The Pork Stork". :)

15. CountryMamaof5

lol, thats cute

I think i might just keep my boar and wait til I know he has done his job and then he can become sausage then. I dont want to keep messing up with AI and end up spending more than I ever would have just feeding a boar lol