A.I. anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I've been reading (yeah, I do to much of that! LOL) and it got me to thinkin'. I don't know much about the little orphan doe I have. She might or might not be full blood Boer. So, now I'm thinking that to get a nice kid from her next year, maybe I should use Artificial insemination from a quality buck.

I don't think I want to take her to get bred, as I'm getting a bit "gunshy" after reading about CAE, CL, and all the other stuff she could be exposed to. I want to keep a closed herd as much as possible.

I know, I'm thinking way into the future. But I guess it's better to be prepared than leave it till the last minute.

Does anyone here use A.I.? I really don't know much about it so I'll be reading lots of web pages, doing my homework over the next few months.

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick post. Going to check out that site right now.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I've taken a class and in the process of buying the equipment to do some AI.
    From my limited knowledge, the hardest part of AI is knowing when the doe is in heat and how long she's been in heat. The semen is fairly cheap, about $10-$25/dose for good bucks- but the inseminating equipment is $150-$200 and you need to store the semen in liquid nitrogen tanks which cost $200-$800 used and have to be refilled with liquid nitrogen every couple of months.
    If it is just for the one doe, I would check around with the area goat breeders and see if you could hire someone to ai your doe.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i can understand the motive to have a closed herd very well. this does not mean you can't have a buck. even breeder who are doing a lot of A.I are keeping a buck for heat detection. if something goes wrong they have a buck for live covering.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

The link I gave earlier has a very thorough video available on doing AI.

Ruth