Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Bearfootfarm said:
Put 20 Mule Team Borax on all your floors and then vaccuum a LOT. It will take a while but it will work
I've got the same problem here. NEVER had a single flea before this year. It must be a bumper crop for sure.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fleas here too...Nothing seems to be helping. I'm hoping to lime the fields this week or next and I think that will help a lot. Already done the house in Borax...Do that about every 4th day or so due to the dog smell.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
chma4 said:
i use frontline. no fleas here.
Me too! I called the vet and asked them how come it wasn't working and the receptionist said that she has been getting a lot of calls. Apparently, they are just really, really bad this year (the fleas, that is).

donsgal

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
3 large cats 8 Kittens NO Fleas!! My Guineas and Game roosters eat them. The cats come into the house, And NO Fleas inside! wonder why others have them?? And I don't The fols next door indoor dog. ( total worthless mutt) A outdoor cat. The dog has fleas. The cat don't. Their house is loaded with Ticks & Fleas!! And theirs A New baby coming in A few months! Oh their Grass is 3' tall..

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
We've got 3 indoor cats and 3 indoor dogs... all with fleas. Dogs get bathes regularly as do the cats with flea/tick shampoo. They all have spot-ons for fleas/ticks.... Still fleas! And we have carpeting in three rooms in the entire house and they only have access to one. This is the first year we've ever had bad with fleas, I think it's just a good year for them!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Six cats and ten dogs in the house and this is the first time we've EVER had fleas. We haved used Frontline religiously for years now (use it almost all year round) and we've never had the problem we're having this year. We're to the point that hubby has decided to spray the yard (and our yard is several acres). I hope it helps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I front lined all of my inside animals except a new kitten. The vet gave me something new for her. She is the only one with fleas. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask why? I didnt check her because i knew we had done her. This stuff does not work and i am not going to pay for it. I am going to find out just what it was so i never use it again.

Anyway, yes, i am flea infested also. They are not bothering the dogs they just like to eat my ankles. I am going to get the borax tomorrow and sweep real good. Thought i had no worries this year.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Walgreens has boric acid in the same aisle as pet supplys. I think it was about $3. It came in a handy container with a spout. It kills roaches, termites, silverfish, and FLEAS. Safe for your environment. Long term.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
OK Here is the best and only unfailable way I know of to get rid of fleas in your home.Get a lamp or nite lite. Now get you a shallow pan of any kind. Place a few drops of any kind of liquid dish washing detergent in the shallow pan and fill it half way with water. Right before bed time place the shallow pan to where it is againt a wall if possible but the most important part is to get the light over the top of the pan or as close as you can to the pan. Even setting the lamp on the floor and the pan next to it will work. The fleas are attracted to the light. :dance: Jump in the pan and drown. :Bawling: You may have to do this for a few weeks as they lay eggs, but it is cheap and it does work. You will seee your results the very next morning. Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I had really, really bad fleas last year and had used Frontline for years. Switched to BioSpot this year and they are totally manageable again. The other day I was reading that people are seeing flea resistence to these products now, and they've come out with a new chemical called Promeris. It's due out this fall, manufactured by Fort Dodge.

Jennifer

·
Registered
224 Posts
kath2003 said:
Searched for other posts. Should have done this first, sorry!
Oh, I know what a "trial" that is!!
I have had that trouble in the past. I got Malathion at the local feed and animal supply store. A sprayer. dilute according to directions on bottle. Put in Sprayer. Spray the whole house, carpets, furniture, everywhere, under everything,, when everyone will be outside or gone for a couple hours or so. (may want to cover or move plants outside too) Spray all dog houses, cat houses, and pets have to be de-fleaed of course. :) There is directions to make a Flea-dip for dogs on the bottle. ( should be)
It worked real good for me. What I like about Malathion is that the odor evaporates quickly after spraying. (the time that everyone is not in the house)
It is what I use anytime I get a infestation. :)
Hope you get it under control real soon,,,Patsy

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Jennifer L. said:
I had really, really bad fleas last year and had used Frontline for years. Switched to BioSpot this year and they are totally manageable again. The other day I was reading that people are seeing flea resistence to these products now, and they've come out with a new chemical called Promeris. It's due out this fall, manufactured by Fort Dodge.

Jennifer
Interesting! Perhaps it's time for us to switch from Frontline to something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.