A Hot One

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

It's so hot today the chickens are laying fried eggs. :) .........

Haven't seen it this dry since '76.

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we were 107 today. It was a dry heat though......... :shrug:

3. Up North

Must be a full-time job keeping pigs cool...I suppose the Goats just take it in stride!! Hey are your guys& gals making weights for Fairtime?

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

It was close to 100 here today too. I extended the pigs' enclosure to let them go under two big mulberry trees. They went in and ate some fruit and then Sunshine came out and thanked me for doing it, giving me that big smile and "snuff-snuff-snuffle!" She is such a sweetheart! They disappeared under there and didn't come out for hours! I was surprised they didn't emerge purple. Then I hosed them down and flooded the dirt and they were two very happy piggies.

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

It was 97 and it WASN'T a dry heat.

Man, it's hard to work outside when it's hot and humid. Next up is re-roofing the barn. Not looking forward to that!

At least I don't have to shovel hot and humid. I'll take it.

6. Up North

Saturday it hit 103F- which is unheard of here. But windy enough not too bad. Sunday it was 88F but dripping. Two Tornadoes went thru Northern Minnesota and spun off into canada Northeast of us. Sure dumped a bunch of cool lake air on us though. Driving tractor not too bad- but sorting cattle no fun.

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

the tight wound blue butt and belted cross are slow slow slow. The others are all okay. We needed to weigh today, put 3 sows in the barn and cut the boars in the June litter...but it never did get done. I will type more after I get my cast off tomorrow...I am getting lazy with this,

8. Up North

Tough on you & animals working in this heat. We spent lots of time checking cattle waterers and laying eyes on stock, and filling wallows and watering hogs extra times both Sat & Sun so didn't get much fieldwork done.
    Hope 2morrow goes well for you :) Just moved 2 Herfords to a new green grass area- Heather put up new polytape fence for them- They learned quick and stayed in!!!! One of the two has some tending towards blown apart shoulder blades, so I was pleasantly surprised. Better breeding than we expected for a specialty breed. If only the rugrat hadn't smashed the dig. camera... :flame:

9. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

my pig got hosed off today, he doesnt usually like that but he just stood there today, made him some cool mud, he wouldnt even let me fill his bowl, he was drinking stright from the stream of water from the hose, silly pig

10. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

The weather must be grits about face everywhere. We are supposedly in the middle of winter but our high today was 68F - beautiful, clear blue sky and hot in the sun. The fire is going but is shut right down and superfluous to needs other than for heating the hot water.

We had heavy frosts in June which is much earlier than we normally get them (we usually have about 3 mild ones mid-July) and they wiped out our Kykuyu grass which put me into panic mode but the unseasonably warm weather that has followed has seen the english grasses and clovers come away. Rain has been scarce which is lovely now (we are clay pan) but could be a problem during the summer when the water tables are too low.

The peculiar thing about this is that the South Island had snow that all but shut some areas down, the lower North Island had rain that caused massive flooding and here we are in the Far North basking in almost summer type weather.

I sympathise with those of you dealing with heat in the 100's - NZ rarely gets to that. I sympathise even more with those than have the humidity to go with it - I can stand dry heat but the humidity is a killer. I hope all of you have good water sources.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

11. Up North

As I sit sipping an ice tea, I am content knowing I will not have cows to milk
    :buds: in the morning. As I write, some 200 head of various and sundry livestock :1pig: are ensconced in the bowels of a tramp steamer, bound and down for El Rancho de Ronnie. The family will follow shortly in the Lear Jet.
    Might you accomodate a border collie as well?

12. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

:) :) Better not bring the Lear tomorrow - it's forecast for rain and I'll have to shift the sheep out of the only flat paddock big enough to accomodate it. And I'll have to give the house a good going over!
    Border Collies always welcome as are Hereford pigs and Up North's :)

Killed two pigs today (dreadful scald on both) but it got stinking hot. Was a relief when the clouds started to roll in but the overnight low is still 55F.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

13. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Yes...even here in the Great White North we are extremely hot and dry this summer. Having said that, it is quite nice today...about 22 degrees C. We had a t-storm move through last night and gave us quite a dump. Towards the end of this week though, we are right back into the high 20's and low 30's. We need more rain! Pigs are in the shade sleeping all day...the good thing is that they are eating next to nothing with what little activity they are involved in!

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

92.3F and HUMID in Maine for the fifth or sixth straight day....but storm warnings and watches are blurting out and lets just hope it cools off after....and NO HAIL this time as my garden is looking rather beautiful and I'll need the veggies to go with the 37 chickens we butchered yesterday and the pork that is still growing in the barn....and eating rather richly on chicken "parts" :p :p

No AC for us either....I'm melting :help: