a hornets nest

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike0331, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mike0331

mike0331 Member

hello everyone hope all are doing fine .... well i have a problem ..i have a hornets nest on the south side of my home here in s.w. mo. it about 1.5x2.0 ft. the are bothering us .....yet how ever they do like my hummmer fedders ....so they question is how do i move them the nest is about 25 ft. in the air and about 10 ft. from my roof ...... are we ready for winter ? thanks to all from michael

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a very large nest! I would suggest a couple of those spray cans of hornet & wasp killer... & use them at night when they are mostly inactive & are mostly in the nest. Good Luck!

3. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

paint any yellow on you feeder red they will not go to it then

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I would wait until temps dropped below freezing and then have someone else take it down and take it away!!! (I'm allergic to bees, etc.)

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

This gets my vote. I've got a hornets nest, too. It's about 6 feet off the ground, and about 12 feet from the gate to the chicken pen. I was walking under it all summer, walking down the fence line, and just noticed it a couple weeks ago. They haven't been aggressive at all, so they get to stay until winter freezes the nest. Then we'll take it down. Carefully, because I'm allergic.

Seems like the only problem they are causing you is interfering witht the feeders, so I'd disguise them, as Stumpy said. Let them stick around and eat bugs.

Meg :)