A Honda car problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tobo6, Nov 4, 2004.

1. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Dh has a Honda car problem and I thought I'd ask over here to see what you all would suggest. He's a diesel mechanic so he knows how to work on cars pretty much! ;) He has a 1995 Honda Accord and it runs really good, except in the winter. Today was our first freeze and the problems started all over again after running perfect all summer.

What happens is he warms up the car, and takes off. He has to drive 1 1/2 hrs to work and has to stop three times and let the car rest. He says he is going along at 55 mph and it's like the car loses power and no matter how much you push the accelerater the cars rpm's fall, and the car slows down. At this point you have to pull over and turn the car off, sit for 10 minutes and then it starts up fine and goes. If you start the car before the 10 minutes are up it usually won't start, and if it does start it dies.

The weird thing is, our old honda car did the same thing, and that is why we bought this one a couple years ago. Very aggravating.

He has antifreeze in it, and he has put some kind of gas dryer in the tank incase there was water in it. He has called around to different places, talked to friends and no one knows what could be causing this. We believe it has to be a common complaint because like I said, we have had two honda cars do the same thing!

Any idea what he can try next?
    Deb

2. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

What does the "Check Engine" light do? Is it lit solid or blinking? If it's blinking count the number of shorts & longs.
    First guess would be an ignition module problem, heat related.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I'll relay that question to dh, but when I have drove it, the engine light doesn't come on. When it loses power it just slows down more and more. If you would force it to keep going it would start going so slow that it would just die, that is why we pull over and shut it off. I'm wondering if we pulled over and didn't shut it off but let it die on it's own, would it then have blinking engine light?

One thing that dh has played around with is the idle speed. In the winter its below 1 rpm and in the summer it idles at 1.5 to 1.25 rpm. I don't know if that matters or not, since I have no mechanic smarts and dh is at work right now, lol.

Deb

4. If it was ignition related, you'd expect the problems to occur in the summer as well as the winter.

My opinion: defective TAC system (thermostatic air cleaner)... its messing up in cold damp weather, not unusual for a Honda. I bet it rarely happens while driving in town.

5. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

No it usually happens going at higher speeds, on a highway. He hasn't noticed it in town and either have I.

I just called the auto parts store but they didn't know what a TAC system is or a Thermastitic Air Cleaner. Can you tell me what this goes to, and if it goes by another name? I have no idea about cars, and I want to have all the info for dh when he gets home. Thanks!!!

Deb

6. TAC system has a few components to control the air temp entering the engine (at the air cleaner): temperature sensor, vacume motor and blend door - all near the air intake. Call a Honda dealer for parts. Good news is that parts are cheap, very quick/easy to replace and your fuel economy will go up after the repair.

7. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, that makes more sense to me. I'll mention this to Dh and then try it out. By the time we are thru we will probable replace every part of the car, lol.

Thanks again,
    Deb

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Next time it stalls, quickly remove the fuel cap and see if there is a swooshing sound, if there is, the vent is clogged, all the earmarks are there. This is extremely similiar to motorcycle problem.

9. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

You might consider replacing the (often overlooked) fuel filter if it hasn't been done in a while. I had a similar cold weather problem on a Ford pickup - and it turned out to be the fuel filter.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Previous 2 answers gas cap vent line may have water that freezes and causes a problem and same with filter. The cap itself should not be vented.

mikell

11. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

There is a fuel filter behind the drivers side rear wheel, ( At least thats where it is on a Prelude) its nasty to reach, and everyone misses it, it sure sounds like a plugged filter.
    Good luck.

12. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I let dh read the posts last night. He will be checking it out. He did check and change the fuel filter last year when this happened to him. He did grumble during the changing because it is hard to get to behind that wheel, lol. It didn't help though.

Right now, I'm getting ready to call the Honda dealership to get the TAC system. If that makes it better on gas mileage, all the better, because for a honda car it's not getting the best gas mileage we've seen.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it works out!

Deb

13. Virg

Virg Active Member

O2 sensor
    These little buggers control the fuel air mix it every darn thing .
    You find them in the
    exhaust. Look like spark plugs.