A Harkers Island, NC 'Night Before Christmas'

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Lairvine, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

A Harkers Island 'Night Before Christmas'

'Twas the Night Afore Christmas, Son

'Twas a night afore Christmas when all through the house- 'nary a thing was stirring, not even Hattie Lee, my spouse.

The waders was a hanging by the chimney with care-in hopes that Santa Claus would fill 'em up thar.

The yungens was a nestled all snug in thar beds, with visions of sweet tater pies slam filling their heads.

Ma in her sou 'wester, and I in my cap, had just settled down to catch us a nap.

When out in da water there rose such a sound-I jumped to da window to see if a skiff had run aground.

And don't you think that it weren't a shock to see Santa Claus stranded on an oyster rock.

Now that ain't the half of it-there's more,

The poor ole fellow was awadin' ashore.

I could tell by his looks he weren't none of my kin-but, boy, let me tell ya-he was mad as a wet settin' hen.

He was utterin' a word as he went straight to his work, cause he lost one of his books in da mud when he pulled a jerk.

Well, he went to da Rice's but thar he got tired, tryin' to get across the sandspurs in their front yard.

He went to the Willis' to give them a lot, 'till he tripped and fell on a rusty crab pot.

'Bout ready to give up, he went to Zola's down da road-and all she got was an ugly oyster toad.

He headed to the Munden's but turned around, figured the way he looked, they'd put him in the ground.

So wet and full of sandspurs, thar he stood; he decided he better get while the getting was good.

So he swam to the boat ready to leave da island; pulled her in reverse and ran slam in a pilin'.

I heard him hollar as he sank outa sight, "My Lord, honey, ain't I been momicked this night."

-Written by Connie McElroy, Christmas 1982

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

A lot of people wont understand the significance of some of the words and names that you used, but Ive heard them all! LOL Im surprised there wasnt a "Hoi Toid" in there somewhere !!!

3. Lairvine

LOL yeah I kinda figured as much but the small world thread got me to post it. I went to a mall down in Georgia once... the cashier lady looked at me and said.. "are you from Harker Island???" LOL she had moved there from New Bern about 15 years b4.
    Oh about the "hoi toid" not being there .. I think that was the problem, Santa came in on low tide :nono: . LOL

4. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

That sure brought back memories! I lived on Harkers Island in the early 60's. My first husband was from there. I used to go as first mate on our boat and did lots of deep sea fishing. First hand experience with the gulf stream. My first job on the boat was gaffing crab pots when we were out for black bass. Knew lot's of Willis' folks too.

5. Lairvine

LOL,
    Yldrosie, I am kin to alot of the Willis'.. I know...poor me LOL

6. Yldrosie

Do you know any Coats people? My MIL had a little restaurant and motel there, and a boat dock right next to their house. It was down the first road on the right, after you crossed the bridge. All my rels were fishermen, and still are, but BIL lives in Beaufort now. Still fishes party boats. Also, Claude Brown was a good friend. I think he died years ago. He owned Browns Island, and had lots of ponies on it.

7. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Christmas sweatshirt with the poem on the back and a picture of Santa trying to disembark from his dinghy on the front. Been looking for it for a couple of weeks. It must be in a box somewhere from the recent move. My grandparents are from Down East and I grew up in Morehead City. I miss the coast! Don't really miss having to translate for the Hoi Tiders that would come into the store and try to order something.

8. Lairvine

LOL nope don't know any Coats', but I know Browns Island, the ponies are still there. I have lived here in the ORIGINAL Downeast all my life. It used to be nice but it has been ruiened by ding batters (out of towners) :flame: . They are trying to put condos on Harkers Island now :help: . There are no fishing piers on Atlantic beach on down to Emerald Isle... all tore down to make condos. Even JungleLand is gone.. new condos there too. :flame:

9. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

First Jungleland, then the Iron Steamer. Next time I go back for a visit, Fort Macon will be an exclusive, gated community for all the rich dingbatters dumb enough to build a $1,000,000 home on a barrier island. Always loved the way they wanted my tax $ to pump sand up in their yard. Scientists will tell you the barrier islands are a dynamic community - always shifting, always changing. In the summer, my sister and I would go to the beach with Grandma. There is hardly any place to do that anymore with all the public piers closing. Bah humbug dingbatters!

10. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

to go deep sea fishing on Harker's Island and stayed at a fishing camp run by an old woman, Mrs. Harker. Everybody said she was extremely rich but didn't live like she was.She was a character and made our stays so much fun. Her son, Jimmy ,ran a charter boat out of her place.I was there before it went modern. Don't think I could go back since the changes came. Time seemed to stand still there...that was the beauty of the outer banks. I feel priviledged to have seen eastern and western N.CAppalachian mountains), before real estate went up and you know the rest. Martha

11. Yldrosie

I knew Jimmy Harker too. He was a character.

12. TeachMe

TeachMe Active Member

Never went to Harker's Island very much, but I've spent many summer days around AB and Morehead. The triple S was usually where we hung around the most. In a couple years I imagine the whole place will be for rich dingbatters, they'll probably just gate the bridge. It is nice to at least have fond memories of being able to spend time there with family and friends, just regular folks. Maybe, just maybe we'll get a decent storm to come through and scare them all back home :baby04: .

13. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

What does "momicked" mean?

14. Lairvine

"MOMMICK" At one time a good English term spelled "mammock"; frustrated, mentally and physically punished.

:)