Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we made it this far, and Christmas is not far away. Sending you all best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving. May you all have a wonderful, socially-distant, well-fed and happy day.

And let's hope that an effective vaccine shows up soon to put an end to this blasted pandemic,.
Chuck

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thank you! I have the last of the pumpkins I grew this year in the oven right now, cooking so I can make filling for my pumpkin pie. I have the bird thawing and want to brine it tomorrow. Focusing on stuff I grew this year so will do butternut squash, mashed taters and garden salad instead of the 'usual' fixings. Even the bird (I cheated and am using a large chicken) is homegrown.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Back at ya Chuck. and to FBB. Ya'all make me feel young at 70.

Reactions: kinnb and RJ2019

·
Have a Great Day!
5,195 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to You and the Mrs. Chuck*, You too Bill!, and Whiterock, and everyone else here on ST. I am glad to hear that You are all still here-and not in some bloody Hospital*

·
Super Moderator
13,627 Posts
Posted 11/26/20 8:06 PM CST
Happy Thanksgiving to all, Enjoy and be safe. if dining at home with a small bubble group and you have a pool table , you can do like the Clampetts on Beverly Hillbillies and use the fancy eating table with the green glued down table cloth and 6 glass holders in the Billy Ard's Room and use those wooden sticks in the rack on the wall as pot passers to ensure your maintaining social distance LOL

Since there are going to be just the tw of us this year since daughter and the grandkids decided to travel to see her BF's fanily and neither wants to spend a day cooking, we agreed to let the Kroger Deli cook us a complete heat and eat turkey breast dinner for 6 with side dishes and dessert $65 to ensure plenty of overeating potential tomorrow and leftovers for the week and I picked it up today and she will heat it tomorrow.

Daughter was mad when her mother told her when she comes home from her pandemic fatigue trip she will have to stay with the grandkids ind GF,s grandmother's old house on GF's place where they have been living as if it were a guest house for at least 2 week and GF would not be babysitting fo or home shooling the grand kida during the 2 weeks and daughter and BF would have to do it as by traveling through so many hot zones, she has compromised our 3 home isolation factor too much.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
DD's family is coming. Dining will be outside on the patio. Have a round table and a ten foot table with benches out there. I will put the food out it take away containers and when it is over put covers on and they can take all of it home. I will have my leftovers for later stashed in the fridge before eating today. Everything will be disposable except the serving utensils which will go straight to hot soapy water. Putting hand sanitizer at the start of the buffet line.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Blessings and full bellies for all! :)

Peace,
Kyrie, Tao Blue SD AKC CGC CGCA CGCU TKN PAT, Deja Blue SD AKC CGC CGCU TKN PAT

·
Premium Member
25,193 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving Chuck and everybody else. I hope you tried to eat everything that would stand for it LOL I just finished up almost a plate my DD made up for me to eat after I got home this morning from work. Im full as a tick. now to go to sleep

·
Super Moderator
16,620 Posts
Thanksgiving was great and the food was great! Though, my daughter was terribly upset because her husband came home to eat dinner with them and the food was not nearly done: her new apartment has an oven that I think runs cool. So we talked long enough for her to dry her tears and then they went back and had pie and read for dinner: the chicken and vegetables will be eaten today instead. (Her husband does not like turkey so they were having chicken in a bed of root vegetables)

I am glad that I am retired. I remember how hard it was to work the holidays. And because het husband works for a TV studio he does have to work the holidays

·
Premium Member
25,193 Posts
I avoided the family get together for Thanksgiving, knowing that Cheryl would be mourned over, and missed, and I wanted to get past that. Christmas will be different tho and ill have to go to the family get together for the event. Sad thing is, She bought gifts for everybody in the family, and my DD will pass them out for/from her

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Terri: Send the daughter one of the hang-in ovn thermometers and let her check that oven. An oven that does not heat to the marked temp is so frustrating as to be useless. Even if the husband does not know how to make the adjustment, knowing how fare off the temp is will allow your daughter to compensate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bill: Been there, done that. The old folks knew that it takes a year to get over such a loss--that is true now as it has always been. Christmas will be hard too, but you need to be there for the kids. When my Pat died the kids hung around for what seemed forever, "looking after Daddy" when in fact they were still mourning the loss of their mother. Pat knew that she was to die and told me to move on- I tried to move quickly, but that was a disaster too. Hang in there, and be there for the kids at Christmas.

·
Premium Member
7,008 Posts
Bill, I think that she would have wanted you to enjoy the present she bought you. And she likely would have wanted to see you with the family at Thanksgiving, too.

Mon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts