A Good Day’s Work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Obser, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

I can still do a good day’s work just like always, only now it takes me two or three days!

We have a brush pile burning right now and are taking a break after only a couple hours of medium hard work. In years past I would have been building the second pile by now instead of resting and thinking about making breakfast.

Anybody else feel the same?

2. speedfunk

speedfunk Rock On

Yeah except i'm 26 :)

3. quietperson

quietperson Well-Known Member

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, folks. I don't remember reading a lot of things in the "getting old contract". I'm sure I would have remembered if I had. :)

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the Alan Jackson song that's popular right now! I know what you mean. For me, I can go pretty strong doing all kinds of chores for a few days in a row, and they I sort of burn out. I guess I'm OK right out of the gate, but the endurance isn't what it used to be! :)

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You'll wear yourself out early trying to do things like the neighbors do or like you did 10 years ago. I get more done just "piddli' around" than with a to-do list as it just seems to stress me.

I make breakfast, feed the poultry and then let them range free (except the mean old roo!) and they keep me company while I putter. I throw in a load of laundry, then fill water containers for the kids to use in the poultry pen all week, then gather paper cartons, sales flyers, junk mail, etc. and start a fire in the fire pit, then throw the laundry in the dryer, throw another load in the washer, haul the 160 pounds of salt in a few loads to the well house for the conditioning unit, clean the bunny cage, hang the clothes from the dryer, transfer the load in the washer to the dryer, throw another load in the washer, pull weeds, shovel some of the pond bottom into the holes in the driveway, make lunch, empty cat litter boxes and gather trash for a trip to the dumpsters, pull more weeds, vacuum floors, change bed linens, do another cycle of laundry, scrub sinks and toilets, dead head some flowers, and before I know it I have to cook dinner and where did my day off go anyway?