A goat that tested positive for CAE

Discussion in 'Goats' started by budove, Jan 13, 2005.

1. budove

budove Member

This was my favoret Goat.she was so pretty. I gusses I need to do somethig abot her and her kid. coukd I buther her and eat her since we are amune to this? And do you think it would be safe to keep the kid till it weighs at least 60lbs to butcher. I hate to waste the meat if it is still good the kid does not show any sings yet and proubly wont till he get older any way. Mom is just now showing sings on one knee tha does not bother her yet. What would you Do?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if that would be my favorable goat i would not butcher her as long as she is not in pain. depends on what your plans were for the kid there is no need to rush eather. if you want to breed the mom or the kid you could do that too but bottle raise the babies with pasteurized milk. some cae positive goats never have symptoms. what kind of goat do you have? and how old is your goat?
    susanne

3. budove

budove Member

The baby is half nubian and half bore ais 2 weeks old the Mom is nubian1 1/2 years old and is starting to show sings that is wy I had her tested. It was a little to late as for keeping the baby away from her clostrum. but I don't see him spreedin it Now she is a diferent story she is lactatting and that is the other way to sred it other than blood.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

sounds like it is a little buckling and is going for meat anyways. you can let him be with his mom until he is ready to go. mom is another story. did you wanted the milk for your consumtion? my understanding is that cae is not contatious to human. that means after the buck is gone you could still milk her and have something out of her before she goes. what kind of symptoms is she having?
    what makes this goat so special to you?
    susanne

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A suprise positive test on previously healthy or tested stock, is worth a retest, or worth keeping around for breeding, catching kids etc. But a positive test on a doe who is tested because she is symptomatic...that's a whole nother story, she will only get worse, especially when bred. So if you have the mindset that putting her down is merciful than let her nurse the kid until weaning age and butcher them both. The extra fat she will have inside will make burger better, or butcher a small pig at the same time, wonderful sausage goat/hog. I think you are acting very responsibly. Vicki

6. budove

budove Member

Thank you all for the info that is pretty much what I thought. she was my favorit because see was the tamest and had the pettiest markings. I will put her down on the 25 I have a apointment for one of my big bucks so I will sell him insted. I don,t want her to suffer any more than she has to I can get milk from my other goats to feed the baby till about 60# the send him in. Sometimes you just have to do what is rightwitch is usully the hard desions. If every thing was eseay we would not have goals. And I do want a healthy Heard.