A giant thanks for saving my life

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hoosierwife, Mar 22, 2004.

1. hoosierwife

hoosierwife Guest

because I was SERIOUSLY ill and doctors didn't have a clue. They knew it seemed a lot like lupus, MS, fibromyalgia, or a degenerative disease, accompanied by extreme fatigue, memory loss, brain fog, and depression. I am not a person who was ever depressed! Farm woman, for heaven's sakes, too busy to be depressed, but gradually got really, really bad. Felt toxic, poisoned, hands tingled and went numb, could not climb up or down stairs except at a pace rivaling my 103 year old grandma (she probably could have beat me on a flat stretch). So after no idea from various docs, I remembered a post a couple of years ago about the dangers of diet soda. I was a diet Pepsi-aholic!!!!! Would have 4 to 6 of them a day! And gaining weight with it, too. Anyway, after searching the net for articles about diet pop, found I might have just as well gone over to the funeral home and asked them to pour me a big glass of formaldehyde, and then throw in some wood alcohol, and then drank that!!!! (also NutraSweet, another name for aspartame)
    Within a week of quitting completely, I was much better, and now it's a month later and life is so much better. I didn't realize how sick I was until I quit, just knew I felt totally awful and couldn't even remember what it ever felt like to be energetic or healthy. For a visual methphor, those of you who know what a tractor pull is like? I was like the tractor when they've piled another ton of concrete blocks onto the sledge - slower, slower, stopped. I now tell everyone I know to run far away from it - it'll kill you. And to those who think they can't give it up, like I did (I lived for the stuff, it got me going in the morning, perked up my day, etc.) it is not hard at all once you realize what it has done to you. Especially dangerous for diabetics. Go to these websites for info: http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html or
    http://www.anxietypanic.com/aspartame.html or http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    So THANK YOU to whoever posted about this, you are a life-saver!!!!!
    Peggy in Indiana

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Thank the Lord you're still with us. I quit drinking most all sugar water canned beverages several years back. I still will drink a sevenup from time to time. I drink coffee in the morning and tea and\or water during the rest of the day. But, I consume about 12 to 15 packages of sweet n' Low per day in all of my drinks so i don't know if that is a NO No or not. I cannot drink anything that is not sweet except water.......maybe I should try to change my habits. Anyway, you're still with us and life is good...fordy.. :eek: :)

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I know what your are talking about Peggy, if I drink more than a 12 oz serving of any soda, twice in a week I feel it in a bad way. I am glad your doing better!

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat, and I'm a physician for crik's sake.

I was diagnosed with MS after no one else could explain why I had visible holes in the myelin sheath of my spinal nerves. It debilitated me from a novice weight lifter to a shaking weakling, I even had my medical license limited to observation only, no direct patient invasive procedures allowed.

I quit diet anything and today (1 year later almost to the day) I am 100% back to normal and lifting heavy again.

My colleagues still poo poo away any thoughts that I had aspartame poisoning. In fact anyone during medical training who mentioned the words was labeled a “conspiracy weird’o) by the faculty and shunned.

While my practice is orthopedics, if I were to encounter anyone with my symptoms I would have to think really long and hard if I were going to “officially” diagnose them with aspartame poisoning; but I have “unofficially mentioned” it to some people through this past year.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm going to try 2 weeks without aspartame, I haven't really been well for a year, my legs are stiff and tingle. Sigh.

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting this. Hope you don't mind that I've copied and pasted to my brother-in-law who is an 'addict' w/ health problems as well as his still healthy grown kids!

For a sweetener, Fordy...(and all)... use STEVIA.. it's WONDERFUL.. it's an herb!! I'm still looking for more plants, but you can get it powdered at the health food store. It may seem expensive, but the spice sized bottle will last for over a year, probably!! I've used it for 5+ years and only on my second bottle! (I understand it is actually banned in the UK? Talk about your 'conspiricies'!:)

I'll just say WARNING: use microscopic bits.... it is VERY potently sweet!!! No crappy after-taste either!

Thanks for reminding me... I REALLY need to keep some in my purse for those times when I eat out and order iced tea!

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

So... what about splenda?

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Stevia is awesome. I make a gallon jar of green tea a couple times a week and I use about 4 tiny packages of it to sweeten it along with a 1/4 cup of honey. It's a great sweetner.

9. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

see the Barter Board, Darryl in NW Florida sells Stevia plants...

See yall
    Sidepasser

10. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

From what I've seen, there's nothing wrong with Splenda. There ARE sites out there that have found that it causes problems in rats/mice/rabbits....you can find them by doing a search on Splenda at www.yahoo.com or www.google.com. And there are people who have experienced severe reactions to it when using it.

However, a) there are people who have experienced severe reactions to just about EVERYTHING under the sun - and INCLUDING the sun - and b) it is by no means concrete enough to say that it's not worth using. From what I understand, Splenda is created by chlorinating sugar, substituting 3 chlorine atoms for 3 hydroxyl groups. By doing this, it keeps the sweetness of sugar, but ensures that the body can not digest it....therefore, it's 'calorie free.'

11. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I dont drink diet anything... because i cannot stand the taste... if i drink tea, i drink it with no sweetner.. but............. PEPSI... i used to drink 3 to 6 cans a day and was always depressed, even suicidal ....

my hubby got me to quit drinking pepsi... and guess what... i dont have problems anymore... i will occasionally drink a coke... and a cherry coke from sonic is to die for.. but... coke aka coca cola.. doesnt do the same thing to me that pepsi does... i dont know what the difference is.. but there is something in pepsi that makes people nuts.

Lynn in Texas

12. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Stevia - Richter's Herbs in Goodwood, Ontario Canada sells the seeds. And they ship to U.S.

13. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

LW - perhaps you could answer me a couple questions on the nutrisweet theme....

I read years ago some HORRIBLE stuff about it (a product that by all its names referred to as 'swill' in this house)... I've passed on that information to others, and have read in journals and even my doctor concurred, but I have never found any 'conclusive' proof (so probably deserved the flaming I got for it!)...

Is it true that:

Nutrisweet is stored in the body and turns to formeldyhide after 6 weeks or so at 96 degrees??

Are there any "real" studies on it that are published?

There are several other things I'd like to ask, but these two will do for starters... being rather benign...

Sue

14. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

Peggy, I'm so glad that you found out what your problem was. There is nothing worse than feeling bad, you know in your heart that something is wrong, and the Dr's can't find anything, or if they don't know, they don't want you to know they don't know so they come up with something. Which is what happened to me once. Tried to give me medicine for something I did not have, I knew it in my mind and went to another. He took care of the problem with something more benign instead of some heavy meds.
    I don't like soda's at all altho I must admit that I do like my root beer floats at times. Never could stand artificial sweeteners of any kind. Leaves such a bad taste in my mouth and I hear and read more bad stuff about these things than good stuff.
    So glad you are better. :)
    Linda T.

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

16. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Thanks so much to all who replied, I really appreciate your comments and good wishes. I have to say that I credit the prayers of my Bible study group, husband and children with the Lord showing me what was wrong through this website. I actually went to the store today, shopped, stopped by the neighbor's farmstead cheese shop, talked to them, put away groceries, and drove up to the next town! A month ago I could not have imagined having the strength to do even one of the above! The websites I mentioned and ones others have listed are very helpful. And aspartame DOES turn into formaldehyde and wood alcohol in your system, plus makes you crave carbohydrates (thus negating the "Diet" claim), causes depression, neurological damage, joint pain, hair loss (I know that one is hard on the men, but it is REALLY NO FUN if you are a gal), etc, etc, etc. Not one good thing can come out of Nutrasweet!(no pun intended) So keep letting people you care about know, they can get better! I also found a great book, on this and related health issues, that really explains in easily understood terms, what the modern illnesses are from, and how to get well. It is called "Healing the Immune System" by Lorna R. Vanderhaeghe and Patrick J. D. Bouic, published by Kensington Health. The health food stores usually carry it. It will give you hope and a strategy for overcoming so many health problems. Good old whole foods and lots of vegetables (listen to your mother) can do wonders. :)

17. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Oops, got the title of the book wrong: it should be "The Immune System Cure" by the above-mentioned authors. Yet another senior moment, and I don't even qualify for the discount yet. :eek: