Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exodus 6:7 (King James Version)

And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God:
Without looking at the context of the verse...

If God had been dealing with you, but you didn't know Him as God, and then one day...

God said to you, I will be to you a God, what would be your first thoughts? What would you think He meant?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Considering God gave man natural knowledge of God, and the Holy Ghost brings men to faith, I would have to answer that I would think He meant that in His great mercy God had chosen me to be His own.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
From what I can read, just in this verse, in my English Bible, I would think that He was 'in charge', that I could call on Him in trouble, and that He might have a few things He asks of me. I would assume His power was greater than mine and that His realm was not on this earth.

Now, if I were the people that God was speaking to in this case, I would understand the context and language (leaving Egypt and Hebrew) and I would know that the word used for "God" here meant a ruler or judge appearing as divine representatives with majesty and power. This passage continues on to read, ".. and ye shall know that I am the Lord your God..". The word translated as "Lord" is the word we know today as YHWH. This understanding (and the context) would lead me to believe that there was a new relationship created between this Being and my people.

R

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My reaction was the same as WindowOrMirror.

I asked my friend what it would mean to him, and he said, that the Being would be saying to worship Him.

For some reason, I don't know why, this surprised me!

But from these two answers, now I see why.

WindowOrMirror and I are assuming that we have not known the Being.

It didn't seem a God would ask to be worshipped before doing anything or showing Himself to be worthy of worship.

LamiPub is assuming the inherent knowledge of the true God and so associating the Being with our God. This must be what my friend was doing, assuming the Being was our God.

Since the Bible already spells out for us what we can expect of our God, I just kind of wondered what the reaction would be if someone had no prior knowledge of what a God is supposed to be, or do, then what does being "a God" mean to them?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
LamiPub is assuming the inherent knowledge of the true God and so associating the Being with our God. This must be what my friend was doing, assuming the Being was our God.
I was considering (in the limited piece you posted) that if God chose to reveal Himself in that way He would be sure and grant the gift of the Holy Spirit...belief along with such a revelation, much like the stories of the man from Ethiopia, or the apostle Paul.

Acts 8 (NKJV)
26 Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is desert. 27 So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.”
30 So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 The place in the Scripture which he read was this:

“ He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
33 In His humiliation His justice was taken away,
And who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth.”

34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.
Considering the passage was from the Bible, there is no need to "assume". In quoting Scripture it makes it hard to answer the "what if" scenario as you posed. Because I have the faith and the Scriptures I cannot imagine otherwise (does that make sense?) I know that God is 100% responsible for conversion/belief so I can't imagine not seeing the truth in your scenario. Likely I just do not understand your question.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Likely I just do not understand your question.
LOL... it came from a movie I saw... It was a movie about Abraham. He was making idols with his father-in-law and worshipping idols at the time... or so I assumed.

Then there he is working away on making an idol one day and all the sudden a voice to speaks to him!

It's God.

But, he doesn't know God. The voice says to leave with his family, so off he goes, because this "God Voice" told him to.

So, it got me to thinking, if a person didn't know God, and suddenly a Being says, I will be to you a God, what does that person think? What is "a God" to him?

Something to fear? Something to serve? Something that will take care of you? Something that is ready to punish you so you have to sacrifice your children to it?

Really, it was just a funny question... I just wondered what someone who does not know a God would think a God is supposed to be?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was considering (in the limited piece you posted)
Yes, I did post a very limited piece, because I didn't want any context taken with it... LOL... the opposite of we normally want!

Considering the passage was from the Bible, there is no need to "assume".
Yes, yes, I agree completely! I guess "assume" wasn't a good word. I should have said you were basing your answer on our inherent knowledge of God. That is better stated. And actually I never even thought about that when I have been pondering this verse. So I really liked that answer! Although I didn't come up with myself!

It really was just something I have been "stuck" on for a few weeks... I don't know why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts