A friend in desperate need

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Aug 8, 2004.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have a close friend who finds herself soon to be with out a home. She is in her 60s and a dog breeder. Due to cercumstances she cannot control she needs to find a new place to live. Not too much of a problem except for her kennel of dogs. This is her occupation and life. She is not looking for much. One room for herself, maybe over a barn or garage. And a space outside for the dog kennels. She is currently in lower NY and would prefer to stay in this area since lots of people to buy dogs are here. They are Akitas and demand a very high price. To make matters even worse one of her dogs just had 9 puppies, also out in the kennel.
    If anyone has space or knows of a space for this very nice, quiet lady let me know. I would let her stay here but no room for her dogs.
    Please help!
    Steff

2. I'm sorry that she will be without a home, but asking for a place to make a dog kennel, along with her "only 1 room" is asking for a lot from most people. In other words, you're asking for 1 room plus a site for her place of business.

3. Not trying to be mean but if the Dogs are worth so much why is she loosing her place to live? (I would think she'd have a little bit stuck back for hard times as well as vet bills)

If the dogs are pedigred can't she borrow against them and use that to finance a place to live?

How about partnering with a vet for a short period during relocation?

-----> Jean

4. RAC

RAC Guest

The dogs will be the sticking point, unless she has very good liability insurance, in case of bites, etc. We are not talking about a person with one pet. We are talking about someone with several dogs and several times the liability issues....

Could she work in exchange for room and board for her and the dogs at another kennel?

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We had a woman here in similar circumstances this past year but she not only had dogs but all kinds of other animals she had rescued....she even had a huge pig. The last I heard of her she was housing the animals on some borrowed land and was trying to move an old mobile home in there.

Your friend should check and see if there are other animal lovers in the area who might be willing to share an acre or so for a small fee....somewhere in the country maybe.

6. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Any landowner that offers her a place to stay should know what the
    laws are regarding licensing of kennels, and, as mentioned, the
    liability involved. Sounds like a can of worms to me.
    Ann

7. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Don't have anyplace to offer, but have a friend in a similar situation. She has found a used mobile home on 2 acres that she will be able to rent-to-own, she is bringing her fencing from her old house to put up for her dogs. So there are places usually available, you have to really look.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

how many dogs are we talking about here?

9. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

We are talking 9 adults. Their kennels now take up about 40 x 40 feet in the woods.
    Mind you they are always in the kennel or on a leash.
    Any chance the friend you know wanrts a roommate?
    steff