A Fit Friend?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HesterDaddy, Mar 16, 2005.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

I have a one year old gilt that I've had NO success identifying stud service to impregnate. I am continuing to consider AI but am as "green"
    as they come in this area and am finding no vets in the area willing to take on the task. *sigh*

Anyhow, I don't want my gal to continue to live alone and so I'm considering obtaining a boar. I like the idea of obtaining a very young pig because I like the personality better when my animals are raised by me from a young age. I realize he'll be no good for breeding until much later, but I'm concerned about placing a very young male with an already adult female with regard to safety, practicality, and on and on. Just don't know and am wondering if it's the right thing to do. Can some of you who know more let me know if you'd only add an adult male? OR if a baby male is okay, what is the best way to introduce the little guy to my 632 lb Yorkshire Gilt so that they have the best chance of getting along?

Thanks!

2. HesterDaddy

Wow... She's a 1.5 years old now... a Yorkshire. Do most folks only breed during a gilt's first year? For some reason I thought that they could provide litters for a few years. Again, learning here, so please set me straight. If that's the case, I can live with the lawn ornament *smile* and start fresh with two young ones.

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Hester,
    No people use sows as long as they are fit to breed, it sounds to me like you have perhaps done the same thing i did with my gilt, she is & was seriously over weight when she farrowed & we had a terrible time of it, the poor girl is still down & we are now going on almost 2 weeks since they were born.
    My advise would be to put that girl on a serious diet until she drops some weight & gets back into condition. If you free choice feed, take it away from her & only give her a few cups a day till she trims down some. if she is free ranging all the more reason to cut her intake of feed as she will get some of what she needs from the ground.
    as far as getting a very young boar to put in with her , you will have to have them seperated for awhile in a place where they can see each other but not get to each other. this will give them time to get used to each other before they can actually interact with the other.
    good luck on what ever you decide.
    Rick

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    I would have to agree with Rick in that at 18 months of age your sow is seriously overweight and before you even contemplate getting her into pig, she has to lose a lot of fat. Her excessive weight would probably stop her getting into pig but if it didn't you could end up with serious problems. Follow Rick's advice and bear in mind that it is going to take some time to get the weight off her.

Rick is also correct in saying that sows should be able to breed for some years. I have some that are approaching 7 and 8 years of age and are still producing litters of between 8 and 14 piglets.

When I introduce new pigs I put them into pens or paddocks next to each other for a week or so. That allows them to get used to each other and I usually pick feed time to put them together but not sharing the same dish. Their own dishes about 6ft apart. They're too engrossed in filling their faces and are then too full to start scraping.

I don't know why I answered this really - I've only reiterated what Rick has said but it's nice to know that sometimes people do agree on something :D

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. HesterDaddy

I appreciate everyone's input. Definitely, will look at a weight program. She hasn't struck me as being seriously overweight as she measures out at just over 6' base of tail to between the ears. She's a very large pig overall, but trust those of you with much more experience, so will look at regulating feed and getting her down in bulk.

If I get a young boar, I have a stall right next to hers where he can be placed for awhile until Hester's weight is down and they've grown more than comfortable with each other.

Funny, I often feel embarassed or hesitant to ask for help and continue to be reminded that those of us who prefer a simpler life and working with animals are without a doubt some of the nicest and most giving people I've iknown. Thanks for the help.

6. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Rather than obtaining and feeding a Boar, try placing an ad in your local paper. Perhaps you'll find someone who is willing to stud out their boar as well as provide a learning experience. Most folks with critters are just nice people and are willing to help out other folks who love them as much as they do! :p Of course be willing and ready to compensate them in some way.

7. HesterDaddy

Thanks for the reply, LuckyG. Actually, that was my first line of defense about 6 months ago... seeking someone who would provide boar stud service and/or AI service. I actually posted on here and ran an ad in the state agricultural bulletin, checked with my vet, AND the Large Animal Clinic at the University of GA. Not one single reply. Maybe I'll run an ad again, once I get Hester through the Jenny Craig program.

8. HesterDaddy

just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what her target weight should be. As I mentioned before she's just around 6' base of tail to middle of ears, and she's a 1.5 year old Yorkshire gilt.

9. BDB

BDB BDB

I have a gilt she's just over a year old her weight is around 300 lbs.
    i just AI her last month when she was around five months old i stoped her free choice feed and just feed her twice a day morning and evening give her just enough she can finish off in about twenty minutes
    the AI you dont need a vet if you can detect her heat cycle you can do it yourself its cheaper than feeding a boar year round
    theres a few places on the net you can get boar semen from International Boar Semen is one there realy helpful to they send you a video to that helps they have all the supplies you need to AI your gilt
    good luck hope everything works out for you

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

She can hit a 1000+ pounds given food and time!
    You do not want to hear my suggestion but have you considered seller her and getting 2 or 3 small gilts and a boar? Feed costs will be about the same. You could raise some nice pigs and have some quality sows without the trauma of putting your obsese gilt on a diet.

11. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

just a thought, why not get another sow for companionship instead of a boar than AI your gilt when she's at a good weight?

12. HesterDaddy

Thanks, BDB, what breed is your gilt?

13. HesterDaddy

A friend mad the same suggestion and offered to actually AI both females if possible and that way the feed cost for an additional pig might be worth it if I can get two litters.

14. BDB

BDB BDB

Yorkshire Thats all they have around my area i know of one other guy up the street has landrace pigs and he gets em in PA