Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had finally found that good old Country Barbershop. It was on the dusty mainstreet of a small Kansas Prairie Town. 2 old time Barber Chairs, antique hand tools and historical black & white photos decorated the brown paneling on the walls.
So today I trooped the whole family in for haircuts. Four year old Number 2 son went willingly, smiling with the wonder of it all. Looked like a Norman Rockwell painting. 10 year old number 1 son grumbled but accepted his fate.
Then came 3 year old son number 3.
His first barbershop haircut. He hid in the corner, hiding behind his mother. He said " I don't like haircut"..."I don't like that guy"..." That guy too scary"...
"Me not like haircut". :rolleyes:
Well, his mother lifted him into the chair. She held his hand under the big haircutting apron, and get his hair cut he did.
The Barber was skilled and patient. He had done this thousands of times.
And this was his last time. After 51 years of service to the community, he had sold the Barbershop, and today was his last day. Tommorow the construction crew will come to convert the building to a Ladies Beauty shop.

A last for one and a first for another.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Reminds me of when we took my oldest son to get his haircut at the age of 2. I had to sit in the chair with both arms and both legs wrapped around him, and the lady cutting his hair had to just cut whichever side of his head happened to be turned his way at the moment. I'll have to give her credit, she got the job done amazingly well.

5 minutes after the haircut, Jacob was sound asleep in my lap. Poor boy was worn out.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Up North said:
I had finally found that good old Country Barbershop. It was on the dusty mainstreet of a small Kansas Prairie Town.

And this was his last time. After 51 years of service to the community, he had sold the Barbershop, and today was his last day. Tommorow the construction crew will come to convert the building to a Ladies Beauty shop.

A last for one and a first for another.
Drat! And I was going to ask where this gem was so I could give it a try.

What was the haircut price, if I may ask?

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Windy in Kansas said:
Drat! And I was going to ask where this gem was so I could give it a try.

What was the haircut price, if I may ask?
Well, with a Flattop and beard trim for Dad, and the 3 boys it came to $40 - all in.
Well, I'll just have to mosey 'round the area exploring untill I find the next Real Barbershop. :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
We still have one right down the road. For years it was father and son. Now just the son. He's getting up there and I have no Idea how much longer it will be there. My son now 17 got many of his haircuts there when he was younger. My DH used to go there all the time as did his father and grandfather. The hours and days it is open is getting fewer and fewer and I think this is also a business that is ready to say farewell. Well, farewell Sam we will miss you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.