Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about habeneros. I planted 10 starts of them this past spring. They r now in ull production i.e. i have alot. Can i string them up like cayenne peppers and they will ripen turn color and dry? Do i need to prep. these in any special way? Does anyone have a good recipie for a hot sauce that i could make from rhese beauty's? I am bout done makin salsa and such and i can only eat so many deep fried poppers, i need other ideas especially those in which i can preserve them for future use.Thanks By the way these are huge peppers, i never seen them this big before, must of got that raised bed just right. :baby04:

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Not sure about drying them. I just dropped mine into a freezer bag and pull out what I need to make salsa. With 10 plants, you are going to have a LOT of peppers!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I would dice them up and freeze them, though you can dry them.

Be careful preparing them -- wear gloves & don't get the juice on your skin.

I've never tried it with habañeros, but with milder peppers like anaheims and jalapeños, I often toast them on the bbq grill until the skin is black & then scrape the skin off and dice them and then freeze them in ice cube trays. This enhances the flavor. However, due to the potent nature of habañeros, this might be a bit challenging to do without contaminating *grin* yourself with the juice.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Wow! That is great we never got around to planting habaneros this year and I sure miss not having any. I posted a habanero sauce recipe on the preserving the harvest forum. There were many good ideas on it. If you go on there and look up habanero peppers in search you should be able to find it. Enjoy your peppers:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mauto said:
i never seen them this big before, must of got that raised bed just right. :baby04:
I'd love to buy some seeds from you; please contact me if you're interested. Back channel email is bee_keeper at earthlink dot net. If you have any in pots they will produce even better in future years; I lost my 4 year old lants being out of town & had a greenhouse heat failure. :(

Lew near Waco, TX

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Pure Death them things!!! I like Hot but I took one chewed it up and swollowed it.It hit with a crash burst into flames,burnt for three days,nothing I could do.

Nope I'll just stick with my mild Jalapeno :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
I dried mine with several other small peppers (jalapenos were too thick and juicy for this uncut) in my big food dehydrator- the usually parked van set in the sun- on cookie cooling racks under cheese cloth. Just tossed all the dried ones into a ziploc- can still identify (for caution) the hab.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I was given a quart of habaneros last week, and dh asked me to pickle them (well, actually he said "put them in a jar like jalapenos") so he could add some to the gallons of pickled eggs he makes during deer season.

Make sure you wear gloves! Like Wind in Her Hair I can barehand jalapenos, but I learned my lesson big time on those dang habaneros. My hands have finally quit burning everytime they got warm (in the shower, washing hands w/warm water, tucked under my pillow while sleeping) but it took about 6 days! I will be using gloves next time a habanero crosses my doorstep!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.