Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little techie with my new smart phone, so thought I'd share a few pictures of the last ten days. :gaptooth: Sometimes thinking of taking pics with my phone eludes me and I miss many photo opportunities.

Went up to southfork (west side of San Luis valley above Alamosa) a few days ago. and then up over Wolf Creek pass to Pagosa Springs. I know a few on here have said they hunger for the mountains. A heavy little snow squall dumped a couple inches of snow on top of wolf creek. Didn't even think of taking a picture then? Here is one above South Fork. The mountains here have suffered some big fires and a lot of beetle kill on the spruces....thousands upon thousands of acres.

And a pic of the Rio Grande near south fork.

Got to spend time with my newest grand daughter recently too!

Trying to get a few more loads of wood cut. Still havn't split any.

Two of the boys and I went deer hunting just a few miles south of here last weekend. #3 son drew a buck tag, #2 son and I bought leftover doe tags. We all filled.
Picture of the area we hunted.

#2 bringing wood to camp.

#3's first deer. He was a happy camper!
Whitetail have moved into this area heavily in the last three decades. We used to just have mule deer. I took a muley doe, #2 took a whitetail doe, and as you can see #3 took a whitetail buck. The river is the purgatoirie, otherwise called picketwire by locals. Full Spanish name of it is, Rio De Las Animas Las In Purgatoirie....River Of Lost Souls lost In Hell. Our camp was just directly south of where I grew up. The river once served as the border between the US and Mexico. At the head of a short side canyon there is a spring with a maltese cross petroglyph and other things that aren't discernible.
And lastly one of my seemingly camp duties was cook, I kept it pretty simple and was making hobo pies.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Congrats on that grandbaby lj. She's a cutie. Beautiful country you get to roam in. Are those aspens that are the bright yellow in the lndcsp pics?

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on that grandbaby lj. She's a cutie. Beautiful country you get to roam in. Are those aspens that are the bright yellow in the lndcsp pics?
Yes, the aspens are the brighter yellow in the upper pictures. There were some with strong orange tints....that I didn't think about taking pictures of. Willows and cottonwoods are also yellow along the river. Cottonwoods here are getting mostly yellow now.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Good to see those pictorials!
I got some glitches to work out with my iPhone. Been too
busy at work , my associate gal is to help me figure that
out. I hope y'all like duck and tree pics!

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
Really superb pics, LJ!! Thanks for sharing them. I especially enjoyed the one of #2 bringing wood... you caught the sunset with that one, even though it doesn't show. :) Glad it was a memorable and special time for all -- that's what it's all about!!

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
Wow! Great pictures of God's country...sigh...

Gary, your little granddaughter is growing so fast, I must ask, are y'all feeding that baby Miracle Gro? Remember, that's for the garden, not babies! Such a beautiful child!

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
Great Pictures LJ*, Thanks for sharing!, Your Granddaughter photo, is precious* Now that You can post/take photos-please share, Picture's can be worth a thousand words sometimes*

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
Beautiful pics, Gary!!! :)

Reactions: littlejoe

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We took coolers of ice and dry ice with us, so we were able to bone them out and get them cooled without breaking camp and making a power run to town for a meat locker. A part of Monday and Tuesday was washing, cutting, and wrapping. Have a lot of meat in my freezer, as well as sending two big coolers home with the boys. They'll be back after more.

We wrapped it in Saran wrap or a knockoff of it, several layers. I've never used it for longer term in the freezer. Do you think its good?

Had a bud come in from down south last night who traded for a load of red iron for a shop. I helped him get it loaded today, since there was no access to mechanized loaders where it was located. But...before we left this morn, we had deer heart, biscuits and gravy. Oh yeah!!! We were fueled and ready! lol!

Heart came from son #3's buck. He'd punched it right thru the jugulars and windpipe saving almost all usable meat. Said he was aiming for the lungs, but I'm not sure? :)

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
We took coolers of ice and dry ice with us, so we were able to bone them out and get them cooled without breaking camp and making a power run to town for a meat locker. A part of Monday and Tuesday was washing, cutting, and wrapping. Have a lot of meat in my freezer, as well as sending two big coolers home with the boys. They'll be back after more.

We wrapped it in Saran wrap or a knockoff of it, several layers. I've never used it for longer term in the freezer. Do you think its good?

Had a bud come in from down south last night who traded for a load of red iron for a shop. I helped him get it loaded today, since there was no access to mechanized loaders where it was located. But...before we left this morn, we had deer heart, biscuits and gravy. Oh yeah!!! We were fueled and ready! lol!

Heart came from son #3's buck. He'd punched it right thru the jugulars and windpipe saving almost all usable meat. Said he was aiming for the lungs, but I'm not sure? :)
I've never wrapped and frozen anything in plastic wrap. My go to is almost always tin foil or freezer bags. If it were me, I'd put a layer of tinfoil around just to be safe lol

My friend told me her daughter (15) almost always goes for a neck shot. Says it's quicker, it's less likely to have to trail the animal and is optimal for the most meat to harvest. That girl is a deadly shot. :)

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
... We wrapped it in Saran wrap or a knockoff of it, several layers. I've never used it for longer term in the freezer. Do you think its good?
After have you wrapped it tightly to exclude all of the air spaces (even the tiniest ones), you can protect the wrap with a tight layer of heavy-duty super wide aluminum foil. Lasts a long time for me! The secret to long term freezing is to exclude all air and keeping it that way. I use freezer bags for short term purposes where freezer burn issues won't have time to develop.

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great pics, bet that grand daughter has you wrapped up tight too.
Ed

Reactions: littlejoe

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Love those pics and the family togetherness I see shining through. That's what it's all about :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts