A few questions...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jennifer122102, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

We are thinking about getting a couple goats for milking. I would much rather just let the goat raise her own kids, and just take the extra milk until the kids are weaned, and then take it all. :) From what I have read, because of CAE and CL (Which I'm still not sure what they are or how they would effect me, just using the milk for my own use) you shouldn't let the doe raise the kids. Is this how it has to be? I'm confused...

Jennifer

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I would have to say "to each his/her own" and that said..
    somewhere up there in the 'stickies' is some discussion on both subjects, and while they may not hurt you (per say) they can destroy your goats.. If your goats are tested yearly and test negative, and don't come in contact with any other goats (except to breed, and the bucks are tested too!!) then I'd be comfortable letting them raise their own kids... which is what I do... buuut.. people can be real picky about buying animals that are dam raised, and they should be, CL is almost impossible to eradicate once in your soil and CAE can be dabilitating too.. sooo there's nothing like protecting yourself and those whom you sell your babies to. ;)

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

There are lots of people out there with goats who never, ever have a problem with CAE. There are others who seem to be plagued with it no matter how hard they try to avoid it and do everything right. Almost seems like fate? I don't know.

I do know that none of my goats have been tested. One of them has raised her own kids for four years and this is the first year I bottle fed any...and that was only because I really like the friendliness of the bottle fed kids over the wildness of dam-raised.

If you are concerned about these two diseases, have your goats tested.

Sarah

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Both our does were tested for CAE. Both raised their kids with no problems. I am now milking one (sold 2 buck kids at 2 months) and the other doe (1 doe nursing; 1 doe sold) with no problems. Doe kid "Friday" is a doll and so loving. So don't be afraid of letting them nurse the moms. If you plan to show your goats this might be a problem as the kids tend to be a little rough on mom. We don't show so no problem for us.

5. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

How old do they have to be to be tested?
    Is CAE and CL a risk for my other animals (beef cows, pigs)?
    So, would my best bet to be to find a breeder that's herd has all tested negative? I'm assuming if I bought something at the sale barn that there is a higher chance they will have this.

Jennifer

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Yes, best bet is to buy from a breeder with a good reputation & one that can show you test results. I would not recommend a sale barn because most of the goats at these places are there because of some problem. Not something you want to start out with. You basically get what you pay for. If you buy cheap sale barn goats, you may end up bringing home a number of diseases that will cost you way more in vet bills & medications than it would if you just spent the extra money & buy from a reputable breeder. :)

7. thomfalter

thomfalter Member

I've learned that bottle-fed kids grow up to be very tame and affectionate goats -- even the bucks. Something you might want to consider.

--TF